Beauty Isn’t Only Skin Deep
Did you know there are and average of 515 synthetic chemicals women put in their bodies every day?!
Many of the chemicals in beauty products have been linked to a litany of health problems, from allergies and skin sensitivity to more serious hormonal disturbances, fertility problems, and even cancer. Read more on Honeycolony.
This is a very serious issue. With a huge rise in cancers, infertility, birth defects, autism, depression, and mental illness we need to be more informed on what factors impact our daily health. The following video is not only about Autism. It is about the toxins that we are exposed to on a daily basis, their long term health effects, and what you can do about it. It’s a long video but worth the watch. Listen while you’re getting ready or cooking dinner but please MAKE SURE YOU WATCH IT!
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Here are the main ways to avoid neurotoxins and environmental chemicals:
- Buy organic. Avoid those neurotoxic insecticides, herbicides, and fungicides. Studies showed that some of these toxic chemicals could still be found in human tissue 30+ years later.
- Eat low mercury fish. See the list here: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp
- Filter your tap water. Find out what’s in your local water using the National Tap Water Database. I was shocked to find that my water in Austin, TX is over the health guidelines in EVERY SINGLE contaminant and is way over the National Average for contaminants. See the results here. I buy reverse osmosis water at the local health food store. It’s $1.50 for 5 gallons. Totally worth it, especially when you look at how polluted the water is here in Austin. Such a shame that in such an environmentally conscious city like Austin, we have water that is so toxic. “According to a report by the EWG, the top 10 states with the most contaminants in their drinking water were California, Wisconsin, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, Texas, New York, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Illinois—in that order.” (source) The New York Times has an entire series on the worsening pollution in American water systems if you would like to learn more. For now, buy reverse osmosis water from the distribution center at your local grocery or health food store! You can also look into reverse osmosis filter systems for your home.
- Use stainless steel cookware instead of non-stick. “PFOA — a key processing agent in making nonstick and stain-resistant materials — has been linked to cancer and birth defects in animals and is in the blood of 95 percent of Americans, including pregnant women.” (source). “Our concern is that this is a very unique chemical,” says Richard Wiles with the Environmental Working Group. “It lasts, literally, for eternity, and now it has been determined to be a likely human carcinogen. That ranks it up there with DDT, PCBs and dioxin as a very serious hazard. It needs to be banned.” (source) I was shocked to read that these non-stick materials are so toxic that most birds will die in a matter of minutes just from the fumes created by heating non-stick cookware.
- Use clean, non-toxic household, beauty, and body care products. As illustrated above, most of us are completely unaware of the amount of toxicity we expose ourselves to just by getting ready in the morning! I’ve written several articles on my favorite products here, here, here, and here. Check out Skin Deep for more info.
- Eat your veggies – especially GREENS! “Green Leafy Vegetables: It has been noted that chlorophyll contained in the green leafy vegetables has excellent blood purifying properties. It helps remove toxins from the blood and intestine. In fact, juice fasting is considered to be one of the best means to purify or cleanse the blood. Drink juices of green vegetables like wheat grass, barley grass, spinach, parsley, alfalfa, and cilantro to get rid of toxins from your blood.” (source) Stay tuned for my Juice Feasting e-book coming out in just a few weeks!
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow me on Pinterest, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper right hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!