Simple Roasted Carrots
I’ve had a huge 5lb bag of organic carrots sitting in my fridge for what seems like ages. I don’t know know what prompted me to by such a large bag…I mean, what was I planning to do with 5lbs of carrots?!
I knew I had to use them quickly so in true Linda fashion, I decided to do the easiest, simplest thing I could think of – cut ’em up & bake ’em! I love roasteing veggies, it’s such an easy way to cook a large batch of vegetables at once and have plenty of extras to enjoy during the week.
One of my most common questions is how to make veggies that taste good. Well, my friends, this simple recipe works every time. It’s full of flavor and goes with any meal. It’s great on it’s own as a snack or even as an all veggie meal! You can actually mix it up and use any assortment of vegetables you like; cauliflower, broccoli, red potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, acorn or butternut squash, brussel sprouts, beets, onions, parsnips, green beans, you name it!
- 5 lbs carrots cut into quarters lengthwise
- 2 Tbs Herbs de Provence
- drizzle of olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 tsps garlic powder (I like mine really garlicky)
- 2 tsps sea salt
- a couple twists of fresh cracked pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a plastic bag (I use left over plastic produce bags) place your cut vegetables and drizzle with a small amount of olive/coconut oil, just enough to lightly coat your veggies. You can always add more oil if the vegetables seem dry.
Next add the dried herbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss well, evenly coating all the vegetables with the seasonings and oil.
Spread the vegetables evenly on 1-2 large baking sheets lined with foil. Place on middle rack in oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
That’s it! Your delicious veggies are done!! If you want, you can also add lemon to your mixture like I did here. This recipe will make a huge batch of veggies that you can enjoy all week! Great on salads, as a side dish, and even on their own, roasted veggies are a staple of mine in achieving and maintaining weight loss! Try them and let me know what you think!
Are you familiar with all the amazing health benefits of carrots? The list is pretty remarkable!
“Carrots are good sources of vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin K, biotin, fiber, potassium and thiamine. Here are 7 health benefits of carrots for human body:
- Prevent CancerMany studies shown that eating carrots may help lower the risk of breast cancer, lung cancer and colon cancer. Recently, researchers have isolated a compound called falcarinol in carrots that may be largely responsible for anti-cancer benefits. Falcarinol is a natural pesticide found in carrots that protects roots from fungal diseases. In daily diet, carrots are almost the only source of these compounds. A study conducted on mice found that they were fed with either raw carrots or falcarinol have one-third lower risk of developing colon cancer than mice not fed by them.
- Improve VisionThe retina of the eye needs vitamin A to function, lack of vitamin A causes night blindness. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a substance which converted into vitamin A in the liver. In the retina, vitamin A is transformed into rhodopsin, a purple pigment that necessary for night vision. In addition, beta-carotene help protect against macular degeneration and the development of senile cataracts. A study found that people who eat most Beta-carotene had 40 percent lower risk of macular degeneration than those who consumed little.
- Prevent heart diseaseStudies shown that a diet high in carotenoids are associated with a lower risk of heart disease. Also, it is believed that regular consumption of carrots reduces cholesterol levels. Soluble fiber in carrots can help lower blood cholesterol levels by binding with and removing bile acids, cholesterol triggers would be pulled out from the bloodstream to make more bile acids.
- Reduce the risk of strokeAccording to research from Harvard University, people who ate more than six carrots a week are much less likely to suffer a stroke than those who ate only one carrot a month or more.
- Nourish SkinCarrot has a strong cleansing properties that are effective in detoxifying the liver, thus very effective for acne that is caused by toxins from the blood. Carrot is also useful for treating uneven skin tones due to pigmentation. The vitamin A and other nutrients contained in carrot efficiently nourish the skin, prevent dry skin and other skin blemishes.
- Anti-agingCarrots contain a lot of beta-carotene, which serves as an antioxidant that helps the body to fight against free radicals. It also help slows down the aging of cells and various negative effect associated with aging.
- Dental Health Carrots can even help clean your teeth, and is the best way to keep your mouth clean after meals. They act as natural abrasives that help in eliminating the dirt and plague from the teeth and gums. They also trigger a lot of saliva, which helps to scrub away stains on your teeth. Minerals in carrots helps to kill germs in the mouth and prevent tooth damage.” (source)
Just 7 more reasons out of 1,000,000+ to eat your veggies!! 😉
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow me on Pinterest, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper right hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!