My Favorite Kale Salad
Today is day 5 of the Juice Feast, I’m half way done!!! And what I wouldn’t give to have a bite of this gorgeous kale salad!!! Mmmm, so good! And not only is it super yummy, kale is a total All-Star when it comes to nutrition and health benefits. Just have a look for yourself:
- Kale is rich in a flavonoid called maempferol, which research studies suggest lower the risk of ovarian cancer in women.
- Over the past few years, research has shown that many phytonutrients work as antioxidants to disarm free radicals before they can damage DNA, cell membranes and fat containing molecules. Well, the phytonutrients in kale (as well as in other green leafy vegetables) work on a much deeper level. They actually signal our genes to increase production of enzymes involved in detoxification, which is the cleansing process through which our bodies eliminate harmful compounds.
- Kale is also well known for its carotenoids, especially lutein and zeaxanthin, which prevent damage to the eyes from exposure to ultraviolet light.
- Kale supplies 88.8% of your daily value (DV) of vitamin C in just one serving. Vitamin C is vital for the proper function of a healthy immune system, and it’s great for preventing colds. So, your body will thank you!
- Kale is also an excellent resource for vitamin A and vitamin K
- 1 serving of kale supplies you with approximately 10% of your DV for calcium. All that without having to drink a glass of milk!
- 1 cup of kale also provides 27% DV of manganese. This mineral helps produce energy from protein and carbohydrates. Manganese also promotes strong bones, maintains healthy nerves, and promotes optimal function of your thyroid gland. (source)
- The antioxidants in kale seem to be anti-cancer, too. Specifically, the antioxidants in kale is its carotenoids including lutein and beta-carotene, which are significant in the realm of cancer prevention and perhaps even treatment. Lutein and beta-carotene are two specific antioxidants that helps to protect the human body from oxidative stress, specifically against such diseases as cataracts, atherosclerosis and COPD and, of course, cancer.
- Cancer Preventative- The phytonutrients in kale helps to reduce the risk of several cancers including, but possibly not limited to, breast, bladder, colon, lung and ovarian. The actions of these phytonutrients not only reduce cancer, but in general, help to strengthen the entire immune system. (source)
I absolutely LOVE kale! I can feel the dark green leafy goodness every time I eat, juice, or blend it! Kale salads are one of my favorite ways to eat this leafy green. If you have never had kale, this is a great way to start!
Easy Raw Kale Salad w/ Cherry Toms & Local Radish
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 avocado
- juice of one lemon or lime
- 2 TBS Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- sea salt to taste
- chopped vegetables of your choice – I used cherry tomatoes and fresh radishes from the local farmer’s market
First, grab the kale by the stem and strip the leaves from the stem with your hands. I like to save the stems and use them later in my veggie juices! Again, using your hands, tear the kale into small pieces and place in a large bowl. Scoop out 1 whole avocado and add to the bowl, along with lemon juice and salt. Roll up your sleeves – it’s about to get messy!! Use your hands to squeeze, massage and mix the kale, avocado, lemon juice and salt. Continue until the avocado is mixed in thoroughly and the kale has reduced in volume by about half. Massaging the kale is not only fun but also helps to make the tough leafy greens easier to digest. Taste the mixture and adjust flavors as needed.
Next add the nutritional yeast to the kale and mix well. Nutritional Yeast is super yummy and very nutritious. Nutritional Yeast is very rich in B vitamins, including B12, which is what gives it that yellow color. One serving of nutritional yeast, about ½-1 Tbsp, provides the full amount of B12 needed for an adult in day, not bad. It is a great source of 18 amino acids, protein, folic acid, biotin and other vitamins. It is also rich in 15 minerals including iron, magnesium, phorphorus, zinc, and chromium, and selenium (source). It also lends a cheesy, nutty flavor to your dishes and is especially good sprinkled on top any kind of salad or veggie!
nutritional yeast flakes
Finally, top your salad with any raw veggies you like. I used cherry tomatoes and fresh radishes from the local farmer’s market but I think shredded carrots, sliced avocado, fresh corn, cucumber, and/or red peppers would also be fantastic!! I also sprinkled a small amount of hemp seeds and black sesame seeds for color!
local organic radishes from Boggy Creek Farm, aren’t they gorgeous?!
This beautiful salad is absolutely heaving with nutrition. It not only tastes great but is immensely good for you! I hope you enjoy this kale salad as much as I will after my juice feast is over!! 😉 If you are interested in purchasing Nutritional Flakes, cayenne, or other supplies like stevia, raw chocolate powder, or spirulina that I use regularly in my recipes, I strongly recommend purchasing them through iherb.com. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE iherb!! They’ve got the lowest prices ANYWHERE (often up to 40% below retail) and you can find absolutely anything you need from shampoo, facial cleanser, bath salts, laundry detergent, you name it, they’ve got it!! You know I love you guys, so please feel free to use my discount code WAG472 to get $5 OFF your first order + free shipping on orders of $20 or more!! I’ve got a delivery in the mail and I can’t wait to show you guys what I’m going to make next week with all my goodies!!
Let me know what you think of this super easy kale salad, I have a feeling you’re going to love it!! Happy Thursday everyone!
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, or if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper right hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!