Indian Spiced Okra & Potatoes
Yesterday I was craving Indian food. I had a pile of okra in my fridge and no idea what to do with it so I decided to pull out one of my favorite ethnic cookbooks, Maduh Jaffrey’s World Vegetarian and decided to go with her Indian style Okra & Potatoes.
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 inch knob of ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayanne
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1tsp ground corriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 3 Tbs vegetable oil (I used olive oil since that was all I had)
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 14oz fresh okra (about 2cups), trimmed at the ends and cut into 3/4inch pieces
- 4 waxy red potatoes boiled, peeled, and cut into 1inch cubes
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, you could also dice 2 medium tomatoes instead
- 3-4 drops liquid stevia
- 1 1/2 Tbs fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
Put the garlic, ginger, and 4Tbs water into a blender or small food processor and blend into a puree. Empty into a small bowl. Add the cayenne, ground cumin, ground corriander, and turmeric and mix well.
Put the oil into a 9 inch frying pan and set over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the cumin and mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop (a matter of seconds), turn the heat down to medium-low and add the spice paste.
Stir and fry for 30 seconds. Add the okra, potatoes, tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and 1/2 cup of water. Stir well and bring to a gentle simmer. Turn the heat down to low, cover and cook very gently for about 10-12mins, or until the okra is tender.
I had mine over a bed of red quinoa. Later, I had the leftovers plain, topped with goat cheese (imagine that, I had something with goat cheese! 😉 )
Have a Happy Monday everyone!! I’ve got some really exciting stuff happening this month and an AMAZING, One-Time ONLY promotion that will be announced Wednesday on my Facebook Fan Page so stay tuned!! Have a fantastic week!
**Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper right hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!