I am kind of obsessed with Acai bowls lately! They are super yummy and loaded with nutrition. Kids love them and it’s a great way to sneak in a ton of immune boosting minerals and anti-oxidants into their diet without them knowing!! I’ve been having my acai bowls for breakfast, lunch or snacks. I just can’t get enough of them!
Some of the amazing health benefits of Acai are:
1. Aids in Weight Loss: Known by nutritionists as a super-food, acai may help us not only lose weight, but maintain a healthy weight. One interesting study from the National Institutes of Aging found that pulp from the acai berry had the ability to reduce the negative effects of a high-fat diet in laboratory studies on flies.
2. Antiviral, Antibacterial & Anti-Parasitic Agent: Scientists from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro have shown that consuming acai extract can help fight both viral and parasitic infections.
3. Heart Health: Similar to red wine, research shows that acai berries are extremely high in anthocyanins, a form of plant antioxidant associated with the ability to lower cholesterol levels in the blood stream. They are also rich in plant sterols that provide cardio-protective benefits to our cells. It does this by preventing blood clots, improving overall blood circulation, and relaxing the blood vessels.
4. Promotes Skin Health: Currently, many modern beauty products are carrying acai oil, again due to the oil’s high antioxidant content. What is more, acai oil is a great natural alternative to chemical based skin-care products that harm the skin in the long-run. Taken internally, the berries can also give your skin a healthier glow. In fact, Brazilians have been eating acai berries for centuries to treat skin conditions.
5. Helps with Digestive Upset: Taking acai may also aid in keeping our digestive system clean and in optimal function. The berries have powerful detoxification capacities in the human body and is a well-known traditional source of dietary fiber.
6. Anti-Allergenic Substance: Acai berries contain anti-inflammatory properties that may prevent the typical inflammation response associated with allergic reactions.
7. Improved Cellular Health: On a general level, the anthocyanins found in acai play a role in our cellular protection system, helping to keep cells strong against the invasion of free radicals.
8. May Help Prevent Cancer: Acai is very high in Vitamin C and ellagic acid, an immune-system-boosting combination that has been shown to suppress the growth of cancer. One study published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry found that polyphenolic compounds extracted from acai could reduce cancer cell proliferation by 56-86%. It is thought that acai’s phytochemcials can stop the process of carcinogenesis on a molecular level, killing off tumorous cells before they multiply. Acai is particularly indicated for the prevention of prostate enlargement.
9. Anti-Aging Effects: Extremely high in many forms of plant phytochemicals (antioxidants), acai berries may contribute to an ability to slow or reverse typical processes of ageing related to inflammation and cellular oxidative damage. In fact, the berries are one of the planets highest sources of antioxidants, with one berry holding ten times the amount of antioxidants as grapes, and two times the amount of blueberries.
10. Boost in Energy: Due its overall health benefits, taking acai extract can lead to an increased overall level of energy and stamina, and may aid to combat fatigue and exhaustion.
11. Better Sex: This famous red berry has also been linked to overall increased blood circulation in the human body, a phenomenon that may contribute to a boost in sex drive, especially for men.
12. Improves Mental Function: Preliminary research studies show that acai may prevent mental imbalance in menopausal women. – source
- 1 packet of frozen Sambazon Acai Pack – order online or find it in the frozen fruit section at your local health food store.
- 1 banana OR 1/2 cup of frozen fruit like mango or strawberries
- 1/2 cup 100% pure apple juice – if you are trying to stay sugar free, use water + 1 dropperful of Liquid stevia instead
- Granola – I used Nature’s Path Organic Hemp Granola
- Goji Berries and a drizzle of fresh, local honey as garnish
Blend the frozen acai pack, banana, and apple juice in a high speed blender until smooth. (I always use my VitaMix and I LOVE it. I highly, highly recommend saving up for one, you will be so happy you did!!) Add more apple juice as needed but remember you want it to be really thick like ice cream, not soupy!
Pour blended mixture into a bowl and top with granola, sliced fruit of choice (strawberries, banana, raspberries, peaches, and blueberries are all lovely), goji berries or cacoa nibs and a drizzle of fresh local honey.
If you decide to order any of the superfoods mentioned, I recommend iherb.com they have the best prices and super fast delivery! Feel free to use my discount code WAG472 to get $10 off your first order of $40 or more + FREE shipping! 🙂
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow me on Pinterest, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper right hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!