Here in Austin, the weather is FINALLY starting to feel like spring! It’s been amazing to see the sun again and get to spend some much needed time outside. With warmer weather I always start to get questions on “how to lose weight and get in shape fast” and I always say my secret weapon is simply raw vegetables. Weather you juice them, blend them, or chew them, raw veggies are an essential part of cleansing and tonifying the body
These beautiful Rainbow Rolls are one of my favorite healthy snacks and a great way to boost your raw veggie intake! These rolls are absolutely gorgeous and taste amazing! I admit, I used to be very intimidated with the thought of making any kind of sushi roll, but it’s actually super easy. Give yourself a few practice runs and you’ll get the hang of it in no time!
This roll alone is bursting with nutrients to support cellular detoxification and cleansing:
- Cucumber is rich in B vitamins, water, electrolytes, silicon and sulfur to support hydration, liver, kidney, skin, and immune system health.
- Carrots provide antioxidants and vitamin A which helps the liver to cleanse toxins out of the body. Carrots also support the skin and help to create that beautiful GLOW.
- Green & Purple Cabbage is low in fat, high in fiber, supports healthy blood pressure, and acts as a natural anti-inflammatory. It is rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, B6, manganese, sulfur, and potassium. Cabbage also has well-known cancer preventative compounds lupeol, sinigrin and sulforaphane. They stimulate enzyme activity and inhibit the growth of cancer tumors. A Study on women showed a reduction in breast cancer when cruciferous vegetables like cabbage were added to their diet. (source)
- Avocados are rich in vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, potassium, B5, B6, and vitamin E. They also contain high amounts of oleic acid
- Nori (seaweed) is surprisingly rich in protein – 100 grams of nori contain between 30 and 50 grams of protein, making it one of the plant world’s richest sources of protein! Nori is also naturally high in iron, iodine, vitamin A, vitamin C, thiamine, magnesium, riboflavin, niacin, folate, zinc, and potassium. It supports healthy cholesterol, acts as an anti-cancer agent (due to high amounts of vitamin C), supports healthy thyroid function, eyesight, and clear skin.
Who knew you could get that much nutrition out of a modest little veggie roll?!
Raw Vegan Rainbow Roll
- 1 tomato, cut into half moon slices
- 1/2 a large avocado, cut into slices
- 1 cucumber, peeled and julienned (I use one of these)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned (I use one of these)
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded (I use a food processor for this)
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded (I use a food processor for this)
- 2 sheets Nori (you can usually find Nori in the Asian section of you local grocery store)
This will make about 2 rolls, double, triple, quadruple your ingredients as desired!
At the bottom edge of your nori, layer on a small amount of each ingredient. Keep in mind, less is more for this step since most people tend to over-stuff. The more volume you have, the harder it is to roll.
Lift up the edge of the sushi mat closest to you with both thumbs then fold it over your ingredients, squeezing slightly to keep all the ingredients inside. Continue to roll your sushi until you get about an inch from the opposite end. Wet your fingers with some water and then wipe the remaining edge of your nori. Then finish rolling. This step ensures that your roll will stick together.
Use a very sharp knife to cut into 1 inch slices.
If you are like me, it’s much easier to learn when you have a great visual so I’ve included this instructional video by my friend Russel James, The Raw Chef, he’s much better at explaining the process than me!
I know it seems intimidating at first, but I promise the process is actually quite easy and once you make a few rolls, you’ll get the hang of it and want to make it all the time!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! I’ll be posting more raw food recipes through out the coming weeks. In the mean time, you can see all of my raw food recipes here.
LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow me on Pinterest, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper left hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!