This ranch dressing will change your life…seriously. I started making it a month ago and haven’t stopped since! It’s very simple, super healthy, and absolutely AMAZING!! You may be surprised to find that it’s made with hemp seeds!
From 3fatchicks.com Hemp is a variety of the Cannabis sativa plant. It is not the same as marijuana, as it does not contain the high levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the active ingredient that produces a high. Hemp has many industrial uses, but you can also obtain many health benefits from it by adding the seeds to your diet.
Hemp can provide you with a complete protein, and a balanced ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids. It also contains many B vitamins, vitamins A, D and E, calcium, sodium, iron and dietary fiber. Hence, hemp seeds can supply you with all your dietary needs for optimum health.
1. A Healthy Heart The essential fatty acids contained in hemp can reduce blood cholesterol to prevent plaque buildup in the arteries. Plaque buildup can contribute to atherosclerosis, which is the hardening of the arteries and eventually can cause heart attacks and stroke. The fatty acids help to reduce inflammation that can cause poor blood circulation and high blood pressure. Therefore hemp can reduce the workload of the heart, and as a result helps to prevent heart disease and stroke.
2. A Healthy Mind Your brain contains lot of the same essential fatty acids which are found in hemp. Therefore, hemp can help to improve your memory, and prevent diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. Hemp seeds can also help to improve your moods, alleviate symptoms of depression and reduce anxiety and stress levels.
3. Healthy Skin Hemp oil is often used for cosmetic purposes in products such as soaps, skin lotions and lip balms. This is because the oil helps to penetrate into the layers of the skin to promote new cell growth for a softer and smoother skin. Hemp can also help to clear up skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and dry skin.
4. Weight Loss Hemp is a natural appetite suppressant, and helps you to feel full longer. Adding 4 tablespoons of hemp seeds to your breakfast can help to reduce your food cravings for the rest of the day. On top of that you will have lots of energy for exercise and other activities to help you lose weight.
5. Digestive Disorders The high amount of fiber that is contained in hemp seeds can help to keep your digestive tract clean and healthy. As a result you can eliminate digestive disorders such as bloating and constipation.
6. Prevent Cancer A healthy digestive system along with the antioxidants and plant sterols contained in hemp can help to reduce your risk of breast, colon and prostate cancers.
7. Diabetes Hemp seeds are also essential if you are diabetic, or are at risk for diabetes, as they can help to control your blood sugar levels. This is due to the healthy fats which help the body to absorb the glucose from the bloodstream and turn it into energy. As a result, energy levels will increase and sweet cravings will decrease. (source)
This recipe is adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks and restaurants Cafe Gratitude. If you don’t have this book, it’s definitely one to add to your collection!
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbs Tamari
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 cups hemp seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbs chopped jalapeno
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 3 Tbs fresh dill, chopped fine or 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
Blend all ingredients until smooth. If you like it to be speckled, blend everything except the parsley and cilantro. Then add those in at the last min and blend until the herbs are mixed in and speckled green.
I use a VitaMix which is an amazing, state of the art, professional grade high speed blender. They are the ONLY blender that will give you the creamy consistency that you desire. I love, love, LOVE my VitaMix and highly recommend investing in one if you are ready to make serious changes to your diet. I have had mine for almost 5 years and use it daily! If you’re not ready to drop that kind of cash, I also like Hamilton Beach which makes some great budget friendly blenders that you can get at your local Walmart or Target.
Where to get your hemp seeds: you all know I purchase most everything through iherb.com! They’ve got the best prices and fast shipping – they ship to over 180 countries, including APO addresses! Feel free to use my discount code WAG472 to get $5 OFF your first order + free shipping on orders of $20 or more!! You can get all of your superfoods, food items, and supplements from iherb!
If you are having a craving for savory foods you can use this raw ranch dressing on salads or as a dip for raw veggies. I’ve been eating it as a snack with baby carrots, cucumber slices, bell peppers, celery…basically anything I can get my hands on to dip it with! It’s so, so, so good!! It tastes like it would be totally unhealthy but it’s actually BURSTING with nutrients!! Try it and leave me a comment to tell me what you think!
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow me on Pinterest, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper left hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!