I wrote a post a while back on why I avoid beans and why you should too. I mean, if you like the “effects” of beans…feel free to eat them to your heart’s content! Personally, I don’t digest beans very well and they usually cause a lot of bloating. I’ve also noticed that they tend to stall weight loss in a lot of my clients. If you are having digestive issues or have hit a weight loss plateau, try eliminating beans and see if that makes a difference!
I know what you are thinking, “what about hummus?!” Lucky for you, I’ve got an easy recipe that is even better than the real thing!! I’ve substituted the usual garbanzo beans for summer squash which is so abundant right now and it’s also SUPER nutritious. Did you know summer squash is:
- Rich in Nutrients – Summer squash is a rich source of Vitamin A and C, magnesium, fiber, folate, riboflavin, phosphorus, potassium and Vitamin B6. In addition, it is high in manganese, a mineral which helps the body process fats, carbohydrates, and glucose.
- Supports a Healthy Heart – Yellow squash contains negligible fat and no measurable cholesterol. One cup of squash contains about 0.2 g of fat. Cutting down on your fat and cholesterol intake is a giant step towards helping reduce your risk of heart disease. Aside from the complete lack of fat in summer squash, the magnesium quantity has been shown to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. Along with its potassium content, magnesium is good for reducing high blood pressure. The vitamin C and beta-carotene levels in summer squash may also aid in preventing the oxidation of cholesterol. As cholesterol in its oxidized form builds up in the walls of blood vessels, such nutrients may reduce the development of atherosclerosis. The presence of the vitamin folate in yellow squash is required by our bodies to remove an unhealthy metabolic byproduct called homocysteine, which may contribute to heart attack and stroke risk.
- Healthy Vision – Not only will eating more summer squash demonstrate to those around you that you have seen the nutritional light, you will actually be able to see those who are around you. Summer squash is particularly high in concentrations of beta carotene and lutein. Dietary lutein helps to prevent the onset of cataracts and macular degeneration, which often leads to blindness. A cup of summer squash provides about 135 micrograms of beta carotene and 2,400 micrograms of lutein.
- Fights Cancer – Summer squash is abundant in antioxidants that keep free radicals at bay. With its high beta-carotene content, summer squash is a great source of protection from pollutants and chemicals that lead to cancer. The high levels of vitamin C helps prevent premature aging and cancer as well as inhibiting cell division.
- Controls PMS Symptoms – As mentioned above, summer squash is a very good source of manganese. In one clinical trial, women who consumed high amounts of this mineral in their daily diet had fewer mood swings and cramps than those who ate the lowest amounts. (source)
I bet you didn’t realize how healthy summer squash is! With all those health benefits, you can eat this hummus recipe and feel good about doing it. Plus, this may be the best hummus ever…just sayin!
- 3 medium yellow summer squash (alternately you could also use zucchini but your end product will be a tinge of green)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- sprinkle of paprika
- pumpkin seeds as garnish (optional)
- drizzle of Hot Chilli Oil as garnish (optional, available through iherb.com or in the Asian section at your local grocery/health food store)
In a high speed blender or food processor, blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until a smooth consistency is reached. Taste and adjust flavors to taste. This will make about 12oz.
I always use my VitaMix high power blender which is an amazing, state of the art, professional grade high speed blender. This is the ONLY blender that will get you the really nice, creamy consistency that you desire. I love, love, LOVE my VitaMix and highly recommend investing in one if you are ready to make serious changes to your diet. I have had mine for 6 years and use it daily! I also like Hamilton Beach which makes some great budget friendly blenders that you can get at your local Walmart or Target.
You can also follow the links included in the recipe to purchase your olive oil, spices, and chilli oil at a discounted price through iherb.com! They always have discounted prices and fast, shipping. Feel free to use my discount code WAG472 to get $10 OFF your first order and free shipping on orders of $40 or more!
Prepare to have your mind blown by this delicious hummus. It may seriously be the best hummus you’ve ever had!! Try it and let me know what you think!!
***Don’t forget I’m offering an EXTRA 20% OFF all my services this week! Let’s work together and get you feeling great in the body you’ve always wanted!!***
Looking for a fast easy detox plan? I’ve got everything you need to get started! Check out my step by step programshere. here
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow me on Pinterest, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper left hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!