Many people start to get stressed when they think about adopting a healthier lifestyle because they assume that it’s very difficult to make the transition and stick with it. I’m here to tell you “don’t stress”!! It’s not as challenging as you think! It is actually quite simple. Like Michael Pollan
Here are some simple steps that will make living a healthy lifestyle easier:
- Make enough for leftovers. If you are making something like quinoa (this one is my favorite – you can also find it in bulk at Costco), make a huge batch that will last all week.
- Get a steamer. This thing has saved my life a time or two. Simply add water to the bottom of a large pan, place trays filled with veggies on top, and let steam for about 10mins. You’ll have enough perfectly cooked veggies to last you all week without using any oil or added fats. You can also use it to steam fish, chicken, and seafood. A must have in your healthy kitchen!
- Eat Real Food. For example, if you’re craving chips, get good quality chips like thesethesethese super yummy all natural chips without the chemicals. They may not be considered “health food” but they are still 10 times better than your typical chemical and preservative laden snack foods.
- Always have raw veggies in your fridge. I always have cut celery, baby carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers, broccoli, etc. in my fridge. I always make sure to have something to dip them with like hummus, guacamole, red pepper dip, spicy peanut sauce (soooooo good!!), spicy nut spread, or creamy avocado dressing. Makes a great snack and can be your saving grace when you come home absolutely ravenous!
This recipe was so easy to make and I had plenty leftover to have during the week as a snack or meal. What I love about meals like this is that you’ve got two parts that have multiple uses.
- Quinoa is a great source of plant based protein which can be served alone or as a base for any other meal. You can use it as a base for this yummy burrito bowl or get your greens on with this easy, delicious quinoa and greens recipe.
- The steamed veggies can also be eaten alone, as a side dish to a protein, or as a snack. I LOVE brussel sprouts dipped in my favorite BBQ sauce as a quick, healthy snack. Adding BBQ sauce is also a great way to get kids to eat brussel sprouts!
Vegan Protein Power Bowl
For the recipe you’ll need:
- 2 cups white quinoa
- nutritional yeast (I wrote about the health benefits of nutritional yeast here)
- golden flax seeds
- reduced sodium tamari
- hot sauce (optional – my favorite brand by far is Crystals)
- lemon juice
- 4 cups brussel sprouts (you can find these pre seasoned in the veggie section at Whole Foods)
- 4 cups of butternut squash, peeled and cubed (you can find these pre cut in the veggie section at Whole Foods)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- fresh cracked pepper
Cook quinoa according to these simple instructions. Simply double or triple the recipe to make enough for leftovers.
Place your cooked quinoa in a bowl. Drizzle with golden flax seeds, tamari, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast to taste. Use a spoon to mix everything together well, taste and adjust to taste. I purposely didn’t give measurements here. Some people will prefer no hot sauce, more tamari, less lemon, etc…so use these ingredients conservatively as you can always add more as needed.
Next add your steamed veggies and drizzle with hot sauce and fresh cracked pepper. Top with a sprinkling of sesame seeds, serve hot, and enjoy!
This is a great Asian inspired bowl that will fill you up while keeping you on track with your weight loss! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! I also hope this article inspires you to get a bamboo steamer!!
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow me on Pinterest, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper left hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!