Yesterday when I posted a “teaser” pic of these spring rolls on social media, I never could have anticipated the overwhelming reaction they would receive!! Looks like you guys are REALLY, REALLY excited about this recipe and I’m so glad because they are super healthy, delicious, and surprisingly easy to make!
I especially love these spring rolls because they provide abundant raw vegetable nutrition into your diet in a very easy and enjoyable way! Most of us don’t sit around munching on raw veggies all day but perhaps we should…
Amber Crawley from LivingHarvest.com states, “Raw food consists of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds in their natural, unprocessed state. The benefits of eating raw food go beyond esoteric concepts like detoxifying or alkalizing the body. Whether you’re a committed vegan or a meat-and-potatoes omnivore, here are four compelling, everyday reasons you should consider adding more raw foods to your diet.
- Better Digestion Have you ever eaten a large, rich meal, only to feel pangs of regret – literally – shortly thereafter? When you overload your system with heavy, cooked food (especially meat, dairy, and processed carbohydrates), digestion becomes a laborious task. When you eat raw, however, not only is digestion speedier and more comfortable, but your body is better able to assimilate the unadulterated nutrients the food contains. The fiber and enzymes in raw food also help ease your body’s digestive process.
- Weight Loss Fresh fruits and vegetables are low in calories but high in vitamins and minerals. The more produce you include in your daily diet, the less room there will be for your old, unhealthy standbys (which were almost certainly higher-calorie!). Better yet, you won’t feel deprived, since nuts and seeds contain protein and healthy fats and are extremely filling. Not only will you feel nourished and satisfied, but effortless weight loss is highly likely.
- More Energy After an initial detox period, when the body is adjusting to a higher intake of pure, nutritious food, most people who transition to a raw diet experience a surge in energy. Is it any surprise that when you feed your body more vibrant, live food, you feel more vibrantly alive? The abundance of vitamins and minerals and the lack of empty calories will combine to make you feel lighter, happier, and more energetic. You may even find you have better-quality sleep, smoother skin, and a sharper memory.
- Improved Longevity A raw diet naturally supports the immune system, decreases inflammation, and floods your body with free-radical-deactivating antioxidants. As a result, eating raw food can help decrease your susceptibility to common ailments like colds, the flu, and fatigue, AND to more severe and chronic conditions such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. In giving your body better nutrition, you’re also increasing your own longevity!
Eating raw food is not a black-or-white decision, but rather a matter of proportions. Every raw snack, side dish, or meal you add to your day will lend your body the benefits described here.”
For the Spring Rolls:
- spring roll wrappers – available in the Asian section of your local grocery/health food store or at Asian Markets
- assorted veggies cut into very thin strips – I used thinly cut carrots, cabbage, cucumber, avocado, tomatoes, and arugula
Submerge 1 spring roll wrapper at a time in a bowl of hot (not boiling) water until soft, about 15 seconds. Use your hands to remove your wrapper from the water, shaking off any excess liquid. Lay your wrapper on a flat surface like a cutting board. Begin layering your vegetables in the bottom center of your wrap. Use less than you think is needed, these wraps fill up fast and it’s much easier to wrap a smaller roll than a larger one!
Fold the bottom of the wrapper up over the vegetables and then fold the left & right sides in like a burrito. Continue rolling the spring roll from the bottom up towards the top of the wrapper, pressing firmly to seal. A great step-by-step picture tutorial can be seen here.
With a sharp knife, cut spring rolls in half on a bias and serve with Sweet & Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce listed below.
Sweet & Spicy “Peanut” Dipping Sauce: (adapted from The Raw Food Detox Diet)
- 1 cup raw almond butter
- 4 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbs Tamari (available through iherb.com or in the Asian section at your local grocery/health food store)
- 2 Tbs fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 droppers full or more of NuNaturals liquid stevia (alternately you could use 1/4 cup maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup water to thin
- 1/2 serrano or jalapeno pepper (optional, add more or less based on spice preference)
- 1 tsp Hot Pepper Sesame Oil (optional, available through iherb.com or in the Asian section at your local grocery/health food store)
Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender, slowly adding 1/4 – 1/2 cup water until smooth consistency is reached. Taste and adjust flavors to taste. This will make about 12oz.
I always use my VitaMix which is an amazing, state of the art, professional grade high speed blender. They are the ONLY blender that will get you the creamy consistency that you desire, especially when using nuts. I love, love, LOVE my VitaMix and highly recommend investing in one if you are ready to make serious changes to your diet. I have had mine for almost 5 years and use it daily! If you’re not ready to drop that kind of cash, I also like Hamilton Beach which makes some great budget friendly blenders that you can get at your local Walmart or Target.
You can purchase your Tamari, Almond Butter and NuNaturals liquid stevia through iherb.com! They always have discounted prices and fast, shipping – they ship to over 180 countries, including APO addresses! Feel free to use my discount code WAG472 to get $5 OFF your first order or $10 off your first order of $40 or more!
This recipe is amazing and very easy to make! Don’t be intimidated by the process or the ingredients. Give it a couple tries and you’ll see that it’s not as complicated as it seems! The Sweet & Spicy Dipping Sauce is OUT OF THIS WORLD and makes a wonderful veggie dip as well! Try it and let me know what you think!!
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow me on Pinterest, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper left hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!