I’ve been talking a lot about the health benefits of raw foods lately. The good thing is, you don’t have to become a 100% raw foodist to get the health benefits; simply add more fresh, raw fruits and vegetables into your diet and you will notice the benefits almost right away!!
This is a super easy, delicious raw salad that I know you’ll love! Spring and summer are the perfect time to take advantage of all the amazing fresh seasonal raw produce available. The fresh corn, juicy tomatoes, sweet bell peppers, and crunchy cucumbers make this salad SHINE!!
1.Quick pick me-up – Cucumbers are a good source of B vitamins. Put down your sodas and coffee and eat a cucumber slice.
2. Rehydrates body and replenishes daily vitamins – Cucumbers are 95 percent water, keeping the body hydrated while helping the body eliminate toxins. Cucumbers have most of the vitamins the body needs in a single day. Don’t forget to leave the skin on because the skin contains a good amount of vitamin C, about 10 percent of the daily-recommended allowance.
3. Skin and hair care – If you don’t like to eat the skin, it can be used for skin irritations and sunburns as aloe would be used. Place a slice over puffy eyes and its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce puffiness. The silicon and sulfur in cucumbers help to stimulate hair growth.
4. Fight cancers – Cucumber are known to contain lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol. These three lignans have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of several cancer types, including breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and prostate cancer.
5. Home care – Eliminates a foggy mirror. Before taking a shower, rub a cucumber slice along a mirror and it will eliminate the mirror fogging up. Instead of WD40, take a cucumber slice and rub it along a squeaky hinge and your door will stop squeaking.
6. Relieves bad breath – Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
7. Hangover cure – To avoid a morning hangover or headache; eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish many essential nutrients, reducing the intensity of both hangover and headache.
8. Aids in weight loss and digestion – Due to its low calorie and high water content, cucumber is an ideal diet for people who are looking for weight loss. The high water content and dietary fiber in cucumbers are very effective in ridding the body of toxins from the digestive system, aiding digestion. Daily consumption of cucumbers can be regarded as a remedy for chronic constipation.
9. Cures diabetes, reduces cholesterol and controls blood pressure – Cucumber juice contains a hormone which is needed by the cells of the pancreas for producing insulin which has been found to be beneficial to diabetic patients. Researchers found that a compound called sterols in cucumbers may help reduce cholesterol levels. Cucumbers contain a lot of potassium, magnesium and fiber. These work effectively for regulating blood pressure. This makes cucumbers good for treating both low blood pressure and high blood pressure.
10. Promotes joint health, relieves gout and arthritis pain -Cucumber is an excellent source of silica, which is known to help promotes joint health by strengthening the connective tissues. They are also rich in vitamin A, B1, B6, C & D, Folate, Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. When mixed with carrot juice, they can relieve gout and arthritis pain by lowering the uric acid levels.
With all those benefits, who wouldn’t want to add more cucumbers into their diet?!
- 3 large cucumbers cut into slices (using a food processor makes this much easier and less time consuming!)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 bell peppers – I used red, yellow & orange
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 1 bunch dill, cut fine or chiffonade
- several Tbs red wine vinegar
- dash of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- liquid stevia to taste – I used about 1/2 a dropperfull
In a large bowl combine cut veggies, salt & fresh cracked pepper, stevia, olive oil and dill. Use a large spoon to mix gently. Taste, and adjust flavors as needed. I didn’t give exact measurements for this recipe because I know that the size of your veggies will vary quite a bit so start small and then keep tasting and adjusting!! Cooking is all about variability so just go with it! If you start conservatively, you can always just add more salt, pepper, vinegar as you go!
This salad can be served right away or you can let it sit overnight to marinate.
Pinterest, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper left hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!