Hello lovely juice feasters! How is the cleanse going?! It’s officially the end of Day 3. How are you feeling? How long are you going to go? If you are interested in joining the Annual Juice Feast you can still join us by purchasing the ebook and following the instructions to get started! Juice Feasting is all about cleansing and detox and I have another super secret method of detox to share with you! It’s called Skin Brushing and it is AMAZING for reducing cellulite and sagging skin!!!
Did You Know?
From Natural Health Techniques: The skin is the largest most important eliminative organ in the body and is responsible for one quarter of the body’s detoxification each day
- The skin eliminates over one pound of waste acids each day in the average adult, most of it through the sweat glands
- The skin is known also as our third kidney
- The skin receives one third of all the blood circulated in the body
- The skin is the last to receive nutrients in the body, yet the first to show signs of imbalance or deficiency
Detoxification is performed by a number of organs, glands, and transportation systems, including the skin, gut, kidneys, liver, lungs, lymphatic system, and mucous membranes. Dry brushing is a way to stimulate all the above organs of detoxification because it provides a gentle internal massage.
Dry Brushing was recommended by the Finnish Dr., Paavo Airola for his patients 30 years ago and is still popular in European spas and many cancer treatment centers today. The Russians, Turks and Scandinavians have used this treatment for centuries. Dry brushing is promoted as a preventative for dry skin and a way to exfoliate the skin, thus stimulating skin renewal that is super soft to the touch, but there are many other benefits as well:
1. Dry brushing removes cellulite – Cellulite is a non-scientific term defined as toxic deposits of subcutaneous fat material and fibrous tissue that are not able to be eliminated and which cause a dimpling effect on the overlying skin. These deposits most commonly occur on the thighs and hips of women. Cellulite can affect men and women of any body weight or size. What causes the toxins? Well, some think that we store the breakdown product of cells as toxins in this subcutaneous tissue. Others think that toxic emotions can be stored in the subcutaneous tissue which then builds up as cellulite.
- Your best bets for getting rid of cellulite are dry brushing, massage, working though the emotional issues that are causing the toxins to stagnate, eating foods that feed the skin, an alkaline diet program and a consistent/persistent exercise routine. These techniques will break down the unwelcome toxic body deposits and send them scurrying out your body through the elimination channels we discussed above. And your health will be SO much better for it!
- Foods that feed the skin include: green vegetable juice, fruits (esp. berries), eggs, fresh dark green leafy vegetables, water rich vegetables like tomatoes & cucumbers, and plenty of purified water
2. Dry brushing cleans the lymphatic system. The Lymph System is considered part of our immune system and is made of white blood cells called lymphocytes and the interstitial fluid that bathe our cells, bringing our cells nutrients and removing their waste. All detoxification occurs first and foremost through the lymph. Our bodies contain far more lymph than blood, so you can see how important this might be. Paavo Airola maintains that dry brushing is an essential part of any intestinal cleansing and healing program.
- Dry brushing literally moves the lymph containing large proteins and particulate matter that cannot be transported in any other way back into circulatory system. If these proteins stayed in our systems outside the blood vessels, it would attract other fluid. This can result in swollen ankles, limbs, skin issues and cellulite.
3. Dry brushing removes dead skin layers. Dry skin brushing helps shed dead skin cells, which can help improve skin texture and cell renewal. Dry skin is a sign of detoxification. Therefore it’s good to keep the process going by removing the dead skin daily. If the skin becomes congested, this can result in things like eczema, psoriasis, and dandruff.
4. Dry brushing strengthens the immune system. Dry skin brushing may reduce duration of infection and accelerate the clearing of toxins. It helps support the immune system during cancer and other chronic illness treatment. By stimulating the lymph vessels to drain toxic mucoid matter into organs of detoxification we can purify the entire system. After several days of dry brushing, sometimes you may notice a gelatinous mucoid material in your stools. This is a normal sign that the intestinal tract is renewing itself.
5. Dry brushing stimulates the hormone and oil glands, thus helping all of the body systems perform at peak efficiency. The skin is your body’s largest organ. When improperly maintained, the elimination duties of the skin are forced upon the kidneys. Chemical analysis of sweat shows that it has almost the same constituents as urine. If the skin becomes inactive, its pores choke with millions of dead cells, uric acid and other impurities which will remain in the body putting extra stress on the liver and kidneys.
6. Dry Brushing tightens the skin by increasing the flow of blood which, in turn moves toxins and lessens the appearance of cellulite. Our bodies make a new top layer of skin every 24 hours – skin brushing removes the old top layer, allowing the clean new layer to come to the surface, resulting in softer, smoother skin.
7. Dry Brushing tones the muscles. Dry skin brushing helps muscle tone by stimulating the nerve endings which causes the individual muscle fibers to activate and move. It also helps mobilize fat and helps to even distribution of fat deposits. This is a great technique for invalids who can’t exercise.
8. Dry brushing stimulates circulation. Our skin breathes! And yet, in most people, this vital route of detoxification is operating far below its capacity, because it is clogged with dead skin cells and the un-removed waste excreted through perspiration. Dry skin brushing increases circulation to skin, encouraging your body’s discharge of metabolic wastes. Increased blood flow begins entering the areas brushed and you will experience an increase in electromagnetic energy that permits you to feel energized and invigorated. By activating the circulation you can also prevent varicose veins.
9. Dry brushing improves the function of the nervous system – Dry skin brushing rejuvenates the nervous system by stimulating nerve endings in the skin.
What You Need To Dry Brush the Skin:
To dry brush, use a soft natural fiber brush with a long handle, so that you are able to reach all areas of your body. One with a removable head with a strap for your hand is a good choice. Here’s a picture of what you are looking for:
Remove your clothes, then take the brush off its handle for easier mobility. Starting with the soles of the feet, begin dry brushing the body using long upward strokes. Brush from the ankles to the calves, concentrating on the area behind the knees, thighs and buttocks to help mobilize fat stores (great for cellulite). Then brush the torso with upward strokes towards the heart. Finally, make long strokes from the wrists to the shoulders and underarms. This should take no more than 5 minutes and will leave you feeling totally invigorated! The best times to brush are in the morning before exercising or showering or before retiring for bed at night.
Interested in one-on-one Nutrition & Lifestyle Coachinghere and here for details on how to get started.
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow me on Pinterest, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper left hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!