Are you familiar with chia? It is one of my absolute favorite superfoods and here’s why:
- Supports Heart Health Chia seeds can help reduce blood pressure. The seeds contain one of the highest known plant sources of essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6). EFAs cannot be synthesized by our bodies however, it is very important that we get enough to support our immune, cardiovascular, nervous and reproductive systems. EFA deficiency is quite common in North America.
- Stabilizes Blood Sugar Chia seeds slow down the rate at which complex carbohydrates are digested and then assimilated into the body. The soluble fiber helps to stabilize blood glucose levels resulting in steady, sustained energy. In one study on diabetic patients, Dr. Vladamir Vuksan of St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto, found that blood was thinner and less prone to clotting and blood pressure of participants dropped significantly, after three months of taking Chia seeds daily.
- Energizing The word “Chia” comes from the Mayan language and means strength. Chia seeds are a balanced blend of protein, carbohydrates, fats and fiber. It is said that 1 tablespoon of Chia can sustain a person for 24 hours. Athletes have reported that Chia seeds help them perform at optimal levels for much longer periods of time.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties A number of arthritis sufferers have reported reduced pain and inflammation after a few weeks of taking Chia seeds. The high concentration of omega-3 helps to lubricate joints and keep them supple. Additionally, Omega-3s are converted into prostaglandins which are known to have both pain relieving and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Weight Loss The essential fatty acids contained in Chia seeds helps to boost metabolism and promote lean muscle mass. The seeds are sometimes added to food to provide bulk and nutrients while adding very few calories. For these reasons, many people have found Chia quite useful in weight loss and weight maintenance.
- Detoxification and Elimination Similar to psyllium, the swelling action of Chia in the body helps to cleanse and soothe the colon, and absorb toxins while lubricating and strengthening peristaltic action.
- High Quality Protein Chia seeds contain about 20% protein, a higher percentage than found in many other grains such as wheat and rice. Chia seeds contain strontium which helps to assimilate protein and produce high energy.
- Antioxidants Chia seeds are an excellent source of antioxidants containing even more antioxidants than fresh blueberries. The high amounts of antioxidants in Chia seeds also keeps the oils from going rancid – contributing to a long shelf life.
- Provides Fiber and Other Nutrients Besides EFAs, Chia seeds also provide fiber, iron, calcium, niacin, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus. 2 tablespoons of Chia= 7 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein, 205 milligrams of calcium, 5 grams omega-3
- Brain Power EFAs are known to make cell membranes more flexible and efficient making nutrients more readily available and nerve transmission more efficient. This helps to improve brain function (including memory and concentration). – source
With all of those fabulous health benefits, what’s not to love?! Chia is great because it will take on the flavor of anything you add to it. It’s perfect for adding to smoothies and making yummy desserts and breakfast bowls like this one!
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/8 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 dropper of Vanilla Stevia to taste
- mixed berries of your choice as garnish
Blend all ingredients EXCEPT chia seeds and berries in a blender to mix. Taste and make adjustments as needed. In a glass bowl add chia seeds to the blended mixture and stir with a spoon. Let sit for about 15 mins to thicken. Garnish with fresh berries and a sprig of mint and enjoy!
Your chia pudding can also be made in large batches and stored in the fridge for several days.
Where to get your chia: I always use iherb.com. They’ve got the best prices and fast shipping – they ship to over 180 countries, including APO addresses! Feel free to use my discount code WAG472 to get $5 OFF your first order + free shipping on orders of $20 or more!!
I hope this recipe inspires you to start adding chia to your diet. It makes a healthy breakfast, fast snack, delicious dessert and kids will love it too!!
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, follow me on Pinterest, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper right hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!