Raw Cultured Coconut Yogurt
Hopefully by now you’ve all heard about the benefits of probiotics (the word literally means pro-life). I am a huge fan of probiotics and recommend that everyone get them in some form daily. This could be in supplement form (see my list of recommended brands at the bottom of this post) or in the form of cultured foods like this delicious Coconut Yogurt!
Probiotics are essential for improving immune system function, digestive issues, absorption of nutrients, increased energy levels, allergies, liver function, quality of hair, skin & nails, and also help to promote a nice flat belly!
“Probiotics help white blood cells fight disease, they control putrefactive bacteria in the intestines, they provide important nutrients for building the blood, they assist in digestion, they protect the intestinal mucosa, they prevent diarrhea and constipation, and contribute to bowel elimination. They also manufacture important B vitamins and are the most abundant source of Vitamin B-12.” – Donna Gates, The Body Ecology Diet
If you have ever taken antibiotics, had digestive issues like constipation, diarrhea or IBS, skin issues of any kind, if you are always tired after meals, have frequent cravings for sugar/starches, or get frequent yeast infections or allergies, then probiotics are a MUST! You can read more about the health benefits of probiotics in this article published by Harvard Medical School.
Making your own cultured foods is a great way to get an abundance of wonderful probiotics into your diet! This Coconut Yogurt is delicious as is or added to smoothies, sauces, or salad dressings! You can watch the original video on how to make this recipe here or see my variation below.
Raw Cultured Coconut Yogurt
- 1 cup of raw unheated Almonds (soaked for 24 hours in pure water)
- 1 ½ cups of fresh coconut meat (scraped from the inside of young Thai Coconuts, click here for a video tutorial on how to open a coconut)
- the water from 1 young Thai Coconut
- 1/2 Tbs probiotic powder (or the contents of 3 probiotic capsules)
The beauty of this recipe is that the quantities do NOT have to be exact!! I usually just eyeball everything and it always turns out beautifully!
First, soak your raw almonds in water for 24 hours. Soaking the nuts is crucial as this will activate the dormant enzymes and release the nutrients.
Add soaked almonds, young coconut meat, coconut water from 1 coconut, and probiotics to blender and blend until smooth in a high speed blender (I use a VitaMix).
Next, using a fine mesh strainer, strain the liquid into a glass bowl. I hold my strainer in one hand and use a spatula in the other to stir and sift the mixture through. This will remove any excess fibers and almond skins and will help you achieve a nice creamy texture.
Cover your glass bowl with a paper towel or clean dish towel and let sit at least 3-4 hours. This will allow the probiotics to start to proliferate and break down the yogurt. The longer you let it sit, the more tangy and sour it will be.
I usually double this recipe and let sit overnight for about 12 hours. This way I have a large batch of tangy yogurt that will last about 5 days in the fridge. Keep in mind, the culture will continue to culture in the fridge.
You’ll want to keep about 2 tablespoons of the original mixture as a starter to add to the next batch. This will produce an even more active culture in a shorter amount of time. You will not need to use probiotic powder if you are using a small amount from the previous batch. Once the your culture is ready, you have three options:
- Sweet: You can add some fresh lemon juice, vanilla seeds and vanilla stevia to taste. This is will be the most delicious, probiotic rich, vanilla yogurt you’ve ever had!! It’s great on it’s own, added to smoothies, or made into a pudding by blending with fruit(s) of your choice.
- Savory: Use the mixture as a base for creamy sauces, homemade ranch dip, or as a replacement for sour cream. You can also use it as a replacement for nuts in raw pate and dip recipes like this one.
- Plain: This recipe is also delicious as is!
You can enjoy 1 to 2 cups of coconut yogurt each day 🙂 This is such a fun, easy, and inexpensive way to make probiotics a part of your daily routine. The health, beauty and weight loss benefits are endless!!
Recommended Probiotic Supplements:
- I like Dr. Ohhira and Renew Life brand probiotics. They can be purchased through iherb.com, feel free to use my discount code WAG472 to get $5 OFF your first order + free shipping on orders of $20 or more!!.
- VSL#3 is the STRONGEST probiotic I’ve ever found. If you have digestive issues, skin issues, IBS, etc. It works like magic. It is expensive, but it’s worth it. You can purchase VSL#3 online through Amazon.
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper right hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!