Raw Tomato Basil Soup Recipe

Wednesday, January 4th, 2012

5 Minute Tomato Basil Soup

2012 is in full swing! That means, back to work, school, and all of our regular responsibilities. One of the biggest obstacles in maintaining a healthy diet is TIME. We simply don’t have enough of it. Why would we spend hours slaving away when we can get carryout in 5 mins?

Linda Wagner's Detox E-Books are HERE!!

What most people fail to recognize is that healthy food can also be FAST FOOD, like 5 mins fast! All of my recipes are easy to make and typically take 30 mins or less (usually less) to make. That’s because I’ve already heard all the excuses!! “I don’t have time”, “I’m a busy parent, professional, student, biz owner, volunteer, etc”,  ”Healthy food is difficult to prepare”…the list goes on and on. I’m here to prove you wrong! This delicious soup is incredibly healthy and takes only 5 mins to prepare.

You’ll need:

• 3 medium ripe tomatoes
  • 3 sun-dried tomato slices
  • 2 stalks of celery
  • a pinch of onion powder
  • a pinch of garlic powder (or a giant pinch like I did ;))
  • 1-2 sprigs basil
  • 1/2 avocado
  • sea salt to taste

Cut the tomatoes in half and put in blender. (I use a VitaMix which is a high speed blender. If you do not have a high speed blender you may need to add extra water to help the mixture blend OR you may want to try using a food processor instead). Add sun dried tomatoes and blend until smooth. While the blender is still going, add the celery, sea salt, onion and garlic powder and keep blending until fully incorporated. Then add the basil and continue to blend. Finally, add the avocado and blend for just a few seconds to combine. That’s it, your soup is done!!

If you’re using a VitaMix, the longer you blend in the first step, the warmer your soup will be. If you are not using a VitaMix and would like to heat your soup, you can do so over the stove top.

I just want to say that I LOVE my VitaMix and highly recommend investing in one if you are ready to make serious changes to your diet. I have had mine for almost 5 years and use it almost daily!

Looks tasty, right?! I actually like to call this Superfood Soup because the health benefits of this soup are HUGE!! First, it is completely raw, meaning it has not been cooked. Thus preserving the enzymes.

“Enzymes are substances that make life possible. They are needed for every chemical reaction that takes place in the human body. No mineral, vitamin, or horomone can do any work without enzymes. Our bodies, all organs, tissues, and cells are run by metabolic enzymes.” – Dr. Howell, Enzyme Nutrition

Second, it is bursting with lycopene (from the tomatoes), an antioxidant highly effective in scavenging cancer causing free radicals. The lycopene in tomato fights against cancer and has been shown to be particularly effective in fighting prostate cancer, cervical cancer, cancer of the stomach and rectum as well as pharynx and oesophageal cancers. It also protects against breast cancer and cancer of mouth according to studies published by Harvard School of Public Health. Tomatoes are also excellent in supporting the health of the eyes, skin, urinary tract and supports healthy cholesterol and blood pressure.

Third, we’ve got celery which is rich in vitamin C, helps to lower cholesterol, prevent cancer, reduce high blood pressure, and promote overall health. Because of it’s high calcium content, celery can help calm the nerves. Celery is also good for people suffering from arthritis, rheumatism and gout since its anti-inflammatory properties help reduce swelling and pain around the joints.

Fourth, the Mighty Avocado! The monosaturated fats in avocados not only help in reducing LDL cholesterol but are also good for the heart, skin, eyes, weight control, anti-aging, digestion, and regulating blood sugar. Did you know avocados contain 30% more potassium than banana? The high potassium content helps in regulating blood pressure and prevents circulatory diseases. Avocados have numerous phytonutrients which not only prevent prostate cancer and breast cancer but also can help repair damaged cells. Avocados are also a powerhouse of vitamin E which protects our skin from free radicals.

With all those incredible health benefits who wouldn’t want to try this soup?! It’s delicious, PACKED with AMAZING nutrition, AND you can whip it up in 5 mins flat! Loving your body means providing it with food that actually loves you back! For those of you that feel like you are always freezing, this a great replacement for those cold morning smoothies! Try it and let me know what you think!

The Green Smoothie Detox by Linda Wagner

Looking for a fast easy detox plan? I’ve got everything you need to get started! Check out my step by step programs here.

Interested in one-on-one Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching with Linda? Click here and here for details on how to get started.

Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper left hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!

beauty cleansing Detox 4 Women easy recipes gluten-free hot body nutrition raw food real food recipes soups time savers tomatoes vegan vegetarian weight loss

24 Responses to “Raw Tomato Basil Soup Recipe”

1. Anonymous January 4, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

OMG – I literally was looking for a recipe just like this today to make in my new VitaMix!! I tried to make it without a recipe and it doesn’t taste quite right… this sounds great!

2. Anonymous January 4, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

I just made another batch and added lemon juice for some extra ZING and about 1Tbs nutritional flakes for a richer “cheesy” flavor! So good!

3. Maria January 4, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

Again…another winner. I can not wait to try it tomorrow! Thank you for sharing your knowledge :-)

m.

4. Anonymous January 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm #

I can’t wait to try this. I knew I bought roma tomatoes for a reason the other day!

5. Kibby January 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

This soup was delicious! I added a touch of lemon juice and nutritional yeast as recommended above. Had a lovely massaged kale salad before it and was in heaven. Will be making this one again. Thanks, Linda! Look forward to your next creation!

6. Bry March 2, 2012 at 8:20 am #

Any veggies you could sub for tomatoes can’t have them or corn:(

7. Kelly April 2, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

Hi! I just made this, and it tastes great! I made the whole thing just for myself, and I have A LOT leftover. Do you know how this can store? I’m thinking I’ll just leave it in my VitaMix with the lid on in the fridge. Then I wonder if I should just heat it up stove top tomorrow?

Thanks!

• Linda April 2, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

yes, Kelly, that’s perfect. I typically try to eat all of mine in 2-3 days, hope that helps! :)

8. Surkhab April 28, 2012 at 3:38 am #

wow !looking for tomato soup recipe .its gr8 and easy to prepare .thanks

9. Lee September 25, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

I tried the recipe and the only issue is the color, its green and not red. As soon as I added the celery it changed color. We didn’t use sun dried tomatoes only fresh ones.

• Linda October 4, 2012 at 10:27 am #

The sun dried tomatoes are what give the red color :)

10. Sussan November 25, 2012 at 11:19 am #

Awesome-I just made it (and ate it)! I added fresh onion and garlic (but roasted first)! Super quick and easy! I agree with Linda, I love my Vitamix too!!!

• Linda December 3, 2012 at 10:28 am #

Sounds lovely Sussan!!

11. Stephanie January 7, 2013 at 9:17 am #

I am new to raw foods and I absolutely Love this recipe, but I have a concern about blending in the vitamix to make the texture warmer. Will blending longer so that the soup gets warmer reduce the raw food benefits of the tomatoes, celery and avocado?

• Linda January 7, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

It’s not going to warm it enough to damage the nutrients :)

• Sashay99 May 11, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

The recipes sounds great. I love the nutritional facts and benefits that’s included. I wanted to know which variable/speed should I use when blending? Off to the store. Will let you know how my soup turns out…

12. Peter March 11, 2014 at 8:52 am #

Thank you for providing this recipe,just what I was searching for to christen my Vitamix.
    My understanding is that tomatoes release greater amounts of lycopene when heated so at what temperature would the nutritional benefits be compromised ?

13. Steve May 16, 2014 at 1:19 pm #

You realize that enzymes are proteins, and that proteins are denatured and degraded by stomach acid. There is no benefit of raw foods with respect to active enzymes, other than getting a healthy dose of amino acids, the building blocks of proteins.

1. Healthy Blended Soup Recipes for Weight Loss | Linda Wagner - February 16, 2013

[...] absolutely LOVING my 5 Min blended soups. They have become quite the staple since the end of my juice feast. They are 1) delicious, 2) [...]

2. BLEND THIS: Raw Tomato Basil Soup | Vegan Tasty Green Life - July 15, 2013

[...] I Vitamixed the heck out of every meal that I made this weekend. One of my favorite recipes was this one from Linda Wagner. Try [...]

3. Top 25 Raw Vegan Soup Recipes | Raw Vegan Power - July 15, 2013