Juice Feasting – A “How To” Guide

Thursday, January 19th, 2012

Q & A Wednesday

Hi everyone! Q & A Wednesday is a day late because I had a busy day of clients yesterday and no time to post! Sooooo, today I decided to be extra nice and throw in a BONUS video to address some additional questions I received.

Part 1 is a “How To” Guide to Juice Feasting. This will help you prepare for your juice feast and make it an absolute success!! I was having a little bout of cedar fever yesterday so apologies for the runny nose! For those of you in Central Texas, I just found CedarX which is an all natural Cedar remedy (you can get it locally at People’s Pharmacy) and it totally saved me!! Anyway, enjoy the vid, runny nose and all and stay tuned for a special guest appearance!!

Products Mentioned: Breville Juicer, Omega 8005 Juicer

Part 2 covers Juice Feasting Modifications for those of you who want to cleanse but are not ready to jump right into a full-fledged juice feast.

Mentioned: Dara Dubinet’s One True Thing Green Soup

I hope these videos help and motivate you! I am still kinda awkward with the whole video thing so bare with me…I promise they will get better! I’m also thinking of doing some recipe videos in the future, what do you guys think??

The juice feast is officially over and I have enjoyed green juice, some of Dara Dubinet’s One True Thing Green Soup, and a lovely salad with local greens from the farmer’s market.  I’ll be happily eating this way for the next few days while my body transitions back to solid food.

Remember that just adding one green juice to your daily regimen is a HUGE accomplishment and an absolutely WONDERFUL practice towards a healthier lifestyle! Small steps over time add up to big results in the end. Listen to your body and do what’s right for you!

I’m so glad I did the juice feast and SO PROUD of my friends who did it with me!! Thank you all for your wonderful support throughout the process and don’t forget to leave your questions for next Q & A Wednesday below!!

If you are interested in one-on-one Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching, please click hereandhere for details on how to get started.

For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitterLOVE me on facebook, or if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!

Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper right hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!

cleansing detox hot body inner beauty inspiration juice juicing motivation nutrition piece of mind Q&A Wednesday raw food real food self love videos weight loss

64 Responses to “Juice Feasting – A “How To” Guide”

1. jana January 19, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

Thank you for sharing, Linda! Very educational and INSPIRATIONAL for the people just beginning their health journey to the very seasoned health nut!

• Linda January 20, 2012 at 11:32 pm #

Thank You!! xo

2. Kibby January 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

You are so precious! These videos were so helpful and informative! It is refreshing to hear that you should listen to your body and its needs. When I first chose to eat a raw/plant based diet (over a year ago), I was a bit strict and hard on myself. I have evolved and listened to my body and intuit what I want/my body wants and needs and I go with it. I haven’t eaten meat and dairy in about a year and a half and have never felt better. I will go days where I just want to have juice in the morning, a smoothie for lunch and a raw or cooked plant based meal for dinner. I feel awesome. It works for me. However, I now always listen and see what I want. Some days I need more – some days less. You spoke about issues I feel are very important and pertinent to many. Thanks for that! You rock!
    Would love to see you do some recipe vlogs. Loved seeing your animals in the video too. Their cuties! Have a great weekend!

• Linda January 20, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

Thanks Kibby!! Listening to your body is the best thing! It is SO LIBERATING!!

Recipe videos coming soon!! xo

3. Anonymous January 19, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

Love love LOVE your video blogs, Linda. So clear, informative, full of energy and fantastic, joyful guidance. Thank you so much for what you are doing, and for the beautiful person you are!

4. Anonymous January 19, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Ps. Adored Magnolia’s cameo. 🙂

5. Anonymous January 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm #

I concur with Sarah! LOVE your vlogs! ~Kibby

6. Debra January 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm #

You don’t come across as awkward at all! You’re such an authentic person who really cares about educating and helping others on their journey. And that’s why we love you!!

• Linda January 20, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

Thank you Debra! You’re such a sweetheart for saying that! xo

7. Josh January 19, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

Firstly, your videos are awesome! You come across as a seasoned pro…I put together videos for my out-of-state family for Christmas presents, and it’s not at all easy to simply speak to a camera. I probably did 3 takes per family member before I got it right. Secondly, your videos this week were great because you address specific questions like how much juice you drink in a day and how to know when to drink it…these types of questions can make or break a juice feast. Since having my appointment with you, I have religiously had a green smoothie every morning, and I love how I feel in the mornings as a result…I’m pretty much addicted to it at this point. For the past three days, I have been on a modified juice feast: I still have a green smoothie in the morning for the fiber, but I am juicing from then until dinner, at which point I have another juice or another green smoothie. I am transitioning from an extreme fast food fanaticism, so the juicing definitely takes some adjustment physically and mentally…however, over the past 3 days that I’ve been juicing, I have had moments where I feel so good that just want to laugh for no reason, which is a good feeling…I attribute it to your guidance and motivation. All that being said, just wanted to say thank you, and can’t wait for more videos and posts.

• Linda January 20, 2012 at 11:36 pm #

Josh!! So great to see a comment from you! Sounds like you’re doing great! The modified feast sounds PERFECT!! I totally remember moments when I was first transitioning from a SAD diet and would just feel like dancing and laughing because my body felt so good! It still happens! Luckily my dog Hank likes it, he’s usually the one I make dance with me! 😉

Green Smoothie addiction = a very good thing!!

8. Lily January 20, 2012 at 12:00 am #

You are a natural in front of the camera, everything you say just seems to flow smoothly. Keep up the good work!

• Linda January 20, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

Aw, Lily, from my heart, thank you!!

9. Katka January 20, 2012 at 2:38 am #

Thank you for sharing Linda. Just started juice fast today and these videos are so inspirational.
    Love Katka

• Linda January 20, 2012 at 11:37 pm #

GO KATKA!!!!

10. Lindy January 20, 2012 at 6:29 am #

You are amazing and delightful to watch and listen to on your video!! Recipe videos would be SO wonderful, so please consider doing them!! Thank you for sharing with us!
    BTW, can you recommend any raw restaurants in Austin?? Thank you!

• Linda January 20, 2012 at 11:38 pm #

Hi Lindy!

Raw in Austin = Beets Cafe and The Daily Juice Cafe. Both are awesome!! Are you in Austin?

11. Kibby January 20, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Linda, would love to see you do a video blog on skin brushing and rebounding. Excellent forms of lymphatic drainage and stimulation for the body. Just a thought.

Loved Dara’s video link for the green soup. Will be making that tomorrow. Thanks!

12. Anonymous January 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Thanks guys!! xo

13. Anonymous January 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Thanks guys!! xo

14. Anonymous January 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

Thanks guys!! xo

15. Cassie January 20, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

Linda, would you recommend adding Spiralina to the green smoothies? I read that you can over do it with Spiralina because it is such an amazing green. What are your thoughts?

• Linda January 20, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

Cassie,
      Sure! You can definitely add spirulina! I love spirulina!!

• Cassie January 21, 2012 at 12:02 am #

How much should I add?

• Linda January 21, 2012 at 12:05 am #

Any amount is fine, I’d start with 1/2 – 1 tsp and increase if you like. I usually use about 1 tsp per 16oz but I’ve been using spirulina forever, that could be too strong a taste for a beginner 🙂

• Cassie January 21, 2012 at 12:08 am #

So you must use a powder then? Where do you get it? iherb?

• Cassie January 21, 2012 at 12:17 am #

Fabulous! Thank you for all that you do. I’m really enjoying my green smoothies in the morning. I really love your blog. Very encouraging. My husband constantly sneaks up behind me when I’m reading/watching something on here. He is really interested as well. I wish you were closer. Have a wonderful night!

• Linda January 23, 2012 at 11:00 am #

Thank you for your kind words Cassie!! You made my day!! xo

16. Lauren Barnard January 20, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

My husband and I just got our Breville juicer in today!! We are so excited!! Love your videos and your blog is so informational and helpful!

• Linda January 21, 2012 at 12:05 am #

Thank you Lauren!! Have fun with the juicerrrrrrrrrr!! xo

17. Lily January 21, 2012 at 1:04 am #

After you get passed the first day, should you expect a bowel movement during a juice feast?

• Linda January 23, 2012 at 11:02 am #

It depends on the person. Some people will, some people won’t. There’s no right or wrong….I usually use a colon cleanser like Oxypowder to get things moving if I need to!

18. Terri Fields January 21, 2012 at 1:12 am #

You are by all means a natural on the video! Love seeing Magnolia. I’m just excited to start this journey of juicing and eating clean,excited about getting my Breville tomorrow 🙂 Keep up the great work!

• Linda January 23, 2012 at 11:03 am #

Thanks Terri! You know Magnolia HAS to make an appearance!! 🙂
      Have fun with your juicer, super fun stuff!!

19. Jodi Flannery January 21, 2012 at 9:43 am #

My husband and I are on day 2 of our 5 day commitment and needed your vblog motivation. Perfect timing because this morning was tough…out of food…busy kid schedules…husband coaching a swim meet all day. So thank you for the motivation! We feel fantastic and know our bodies are reaping the benefits. We just weren’t totally prepared for just HOW MUCH produce we’d be burning through. I thought the grocery clerk looked at me funny when I bought 6 cucumbers. Just wait until I head back and buy double that! 🙂 Shout out to your Green Lemonade…my young kids LOVE it!! One quick question, though. Why not coffee? Oh how we love our cup of morning Joe. Keep it up, Linda! Inspiring work you’re doing!

• Linda January 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Hi Jodi, Congrats on the Juice Feast! 6 Cucumbers?! Try 20!! I’m so used to funny looks at the grocery store by now. Most people are actually intrigued and want to know more so it’s a great way to spread the message!! I just did a post on coffee, just for you!! 😉 http://bit.ly/ylpIBT

20. paige January 21, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

Thanks so much Linda for posting these- they are great! I am on day 2 of my modified juice feast. Juices during the day and then a veggi-centric dinner. After watching the videos I think I’ll try to have a lot of those be home-made soups. My stomach was really achey today. I tried to drink a lot of water since then and am feeling a little better. Are these types of effects pretty common? Thanks!

• Linda January 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

Awesome Paige!! Yes, detox is common, especially during the first 3 days. You may want to do a colon cleanse like Oxypowder or Natural Calm to help move the bowels, this will help a lot with the detox symptoms!!

• paige January 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

thanks Linda!

21. Maria January 22, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

Linda,
    I have been floating around in a sort of diet purgatory for a long time now. I can’t tell you how many weight loss type blogs/websites I have looked at searching for that one sentence or photo that would give me the a-ha moment I have been hoping for for so long. Stumbling across this blog has been a real life changer for me. Honestly. For the first time in a long time I actually feel like I can lose this weight and be healthy at the same time. Before finding this blog I was near the point of taking some terrible “energy” pills or “fat burner” pills because I just felt like that was the only answer. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for giving me hope. I have been drinking green smoothies and they are wonderful. We are in the process of moving from Europe back to Canada and the first thing I’m buying is a juicer so I can begin to change inside and out.
    I hope that you know that this blog of yours changes lives. I can tell that you are a wonderful person. Great job on the videos. You look great. For me, I’d be interested in a video addressing mental behaviors like self sabatoge and such. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy no?
    Again, thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

• Linda January 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Maria!! Thank YOU for your lovely message!! My heart is full 🙂
      I will definitely do a vlog on the mental aspects of food – so important!! Thank you so much for stopping by and thank you for being a part of this community! Lots of love to you!! xo

22. Kathe January 23, 2012 at 10:35 am #

Wow, great information. I am so interested in “Juice Feasting”, but still working on my hubby to do this with me. Your tips gave some great insight on how I can make that happen. I am inspired by your quote, “Remember that just adding one green juice to your daily regimen is a HUGE accomplishment and an absolutely WONDERFUL practice towards a healthier lifestyle! Small steps over time add up to big results in the end. Listen to your body and do what’s right for you!”
    My husband does the green smoothies with me and he LOVES them. So I am confident that he will join me in the juice feasting soon. Thanks Linda and I like your idea of Recipe Videos as well! Have a FABULOUS Day!

• Linda January 23, 2012 at 12:22 pm #

Awesome Kathe!! Thank you! xo

23. joy January 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

Hi Linda,
    My question is regarding the tools. When your juice feasting posts first arrived in my mailbox I noticed that your recommendation for the Breville went to the Amazon link for the 800JEXL, which they have had listed as out of stock for a awhile, and now you are linking to the JE98XL, which is in-stock but is half the price. The 2nd one is much closer to being affordable in my world, but I am a strong believer in the reality that with appliances, like so many things, you-get-what-you-pay-for. Can you offer any insight in the key differences between these two? i see on the Breville site that the RPM’s, blade materials and capacity differ but i dont know how to conceptualize what that means for day-to-day or feasting usage? thanks.

• Linda January 23, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Hi Joy,
      Great question, I actually am a huge fan of ALL of Breville’s juicers. They are all great quality and produce excellent juice. The Juice Fountain Elite (the most expensive) is the best IMO but the other less expensive models are all wonderful as well. I honestly think you can’t go wrong with a Breville juicer! If you are serious about juicing and can get the Juice Fountain Elite, I would go for it! However, I also realize that not everyone is ready to drop several hundred dollars on their first juicer so even the lowest price model will work! I hope that helps!!

24. Amanda January 23, 2012 at 8:27 pm #

Hey Linda!
    Love the new video blogs, keep them coming! I did have a quick question for you. I’ve noticed that some recipes call for cacao powder, while others just call for cocoa powder. What’s the difference? Is one better for you than the other? This would be a great help for me. Thanks. Oh and I wanted to let you know I linked your juice feasting to my new blog. You’ve inspired me! Thanks again.

25. Colleen January 24, 2012 at 7:12 am #

So nice to have you as one of my life coaches! My boyfriend came up behind me this morning and watched part of your video with me and asked who you were. I simply told him, “She is one of my life coaches”. I started following your blog and facebook about a month ago and have been eating semi gluten free. Most importantly, I feel like I am getting to where I need to be one day at a time. My morning starts with a smoothie (most days), and usually two healthier meals. I have a 12 year old daughter that has started to make herself a fruit smoothie for breakfast 3 or 4 times a week…this is awesome to me and will help me be able to keep introducing things in our home. This is a process and I feel blessed to have you to turn too! Thanks for all of your encouragement! Oh, and boyfriend said he likes you earrings.

26. Sofie February 19, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

Hey Linda!
    Thank you so much for sharing the very informational video. It was great to see your face and hear you talk about something you are so obviously passionate about. It makes me so happy to see all the progress you are making and the success you have. I recently got a juicer for my birthday and am going to start juicing a couple times a week (I hope) and gradually build up to once a day and… then… maybe do a day of just juicing here or there. I figure juicing would be a great way to build up energy after having had a baby, going back to work and nursing. I have def struggled with gaining and losing pounds through the years – I know you know some of my history 🙂 – but am finally at a place where weight is not so much a concern of mine. I think having a husband and daughter have helped me solidify what is most important in life, i.e. the people I care for. Nothing is more important to me than being a good mother to my daughter. That being said, I still have a couple lbs of pregnancy weight to lose but strive to do so in the healthiest way. Slowly. Juicing. Taking walks and getting out and about. I want to be a good role-model for my daughter; I want to instill in her, a positive and patient outlook on life, a healthy relationship with food, and a playful curiosity toward all things green. I honestly can’t wait to get started!
    So, again, many thanks for your blog–keep rockin’ it! Sof

• Linda February 21, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Thank you Sofie! It’s so nice to see a comment from you! I love that you have such a healthy, positive outlook on food. As women, we’ve all had our fair share of struggles when it comes to food, diet, and body image! I love that you want to instill these qualities in your daughter, what an amazing gift that will be for her! The pregnancy weight will come off, especially if you are breastfeeding and sticking to lots of whole foods, juices, smoothies, etc. Thank you so much for your kind words! Lots of love to you and your fam!! xo

27. Cynthia March 11, 2012 at 5:30 pm #

Hi Linda,
    I just got over a bout of diverticulitis and have been advised to stay away from eating nuts, seeds, peel and skin – but they didn’t go into much else. That means I can’t have tomatoes unless I peel them and seed them first, can’t have strawberries and other berries, can’t have almonds in my salad etc, etc, etc!! That has me so sad, but I certainly don’t want to end up in that situation and with the tremendous pain again! I’m now trying to figure out what I CAN eat now, along my journey of trying to eat more raw foods and smoothies. Your help in giving me any kind of advise would be very much appreciated – for example, quinoa is an edible seed, correct? And in juicing (will be getting a juicer soon), none of this matters does it? I mean doesn’t the juicer take care of separating the skin and peel? What about the seeds in the cucumbers etc? Thanks for your help.

• Linda March 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

Remember food combining rules are going to be VERY important!!!
      Smoothies should not be a problem (with the exception of strawberries, rasberries, blackberries) since everything is pureed and now in liquid form, the seeds/skins shouldn’t aggravate the colon. If you are juicing, no need to worry about the fiber, it will have been separated.

• Cynthia March 23, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

Thank you for your help and advice on the “no seeds/nuts/skin/peel” issue to ward off future bouts of diverticulitis – it is hugely appreciated!! So when you say that everything is pureed and therefore seeds/skins shouldn’t aggravate the colon (with the exception of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries) do you mean in the blender? So cucumbers are okay in the blender without seeding them first? And do you think I can still eat quinoa or is that a seed therefore I cannot? And I will remember about the food combining, thank you so very much!

• Linda March 26, 2012 at 6:27 pm #

Cynthia,
          correct, puree in the blender.

You can try quinoa, cooked with lots of water and see, if it aggravates you then stop! Remember that your body will always tell you what it does and doesn’t like! We just have to listen 🙂

28. Christina March 16, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

Your blog is awesome! I can’t wait to start my first Juice Feast.. Question- would it be ok for me to make say, a week’s worth of green juice (for each morning) and freeze it or does it need to be freshly made each day?? Thanks for all your great ideas and inspiration!
    -Christina

• Linda March 19, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

yes, you can freeze it ahead of time if you have to but ideally you would be making it fresh each day, I hope that helps! Good luck with your feast!! xo

29. Rachael March 22, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

I’m really considering doing a modified cleanse next week. I drink one of your green smoothies every morning and have now for about 2 months. LOVE, LOVE them and they keep me full for quite some time. If I decided to do that still in the morning, how much juice would be recommended for lunch? Also, do you just do a breakfast, lunch, and dinner juice when you do a full juice feast or do you just drink when you’re hungry? I know you said you need a lot of produce to make everything but am just trying to plan for how much is enough. Can’t say enough good things about you and your blog. I tell everyone about you and now call you ‘my new best friend’ when I’m referring to things I’ve discovered from your blog. So inspiring and you have truly changed my life. Thank you, thank you for all you’re doing!!

xoxo

• Linda March 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm #

Yep, Rachel, just drink juice whenever you’re hungry. Most people drink almost a gallon of juice per day while juice feasting!

30. Daniella April 23, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

Great videos! Can’t wait to see more. I am loving your blog!

31. Julia July 11, 2012 at 8:39 am #

Hi Linda! I think your website and videos are fantastic 🙂 I’ve made a few of the dishes and smoothies and they’re delish!

32. april October 3, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

A question about juice feasting (and time!).

I love juicing, and for a time I was prepping juice each morning for breakfast. Now, my daily shift has moved up an hour and a half, and I’m really struggling. I’d like to do a juice feast to try and kick the sluggishness, and am wondering if prepping my juice (say, a gallon or so?) the night before will still work?

I’ve been reading that if juice isn’t consumed within a few minutes of making it, that it’s basically useless? I have a hard time believing that to be 100% true. Any advice?

• Linda October 4, 2012 at 10:23 am #

I wouldn’t do it the night before.
      When I’ve done juice feasts I’ve always prepared the whole day’s worth of juice in the morning and was fine. I hope that helps! 🙂

33. Kristen October 17, 2012 at 12:57 am #

Thanks for all of the wonderful information. When would a juicing be better than just using a blender? What are the pros cons of using a juicer vs blender. I’m trying to decide if I should purchase a blender or if a juicer will also be beneficial. thanks

34. Joanna February 20, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

Hi Linda,

How long can you store fresh juice in a mason or kerr jar to recieve the maximum benefits?