Tuesday, January 10th, 2012

Health Benefits of Juice Feasting

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012

Juice 101

I am currently on day 2 of a fabulous Juice Feast! This is my 5th juice feast. In the past I’ve done anywhere from 3 to 65 days on juice and the results are always amazing!!

This is termed a ‘FEAST’ rather than ‘FAST’ because one gets ALL the calories one would normally get in a day (i.e. 1500 for an average woman) – from at least 4 litres/1 gallon of fresh juice, daily (green vegetable juices, fruit juices and coconut water all included). Often when people fast they take in very small amounts of liquid/calories, the metabolism slows, their energy slumps, and they may feel quite ‘dysfunctional’. Juice Feasting works differently, supporting the feaster to be very functional in daily life and meeting all calorie needs, while experiencing massive cleansing on a cellular level. – source

Juice Feasting 101

There are SO many reasons why juicing is so beneficial, here are just a few:

• Juice requires hardly any digestion, so all its nutritional goodness gets rapidly into your system while simultaneously giving your digestive system a rest. Your body can then use that saved energy to clean out old matter, especially from the small intestine. The average person holds 5-10lbs of toxic old matter in their intestines, and Feasting is an ideal way to release it, giving the body a phenomenal chance to rejuvenate and restore. Far from being a time of ‘deprivation’, this extraordinary healing programme is an experience of abundance and massive nutritional intake…we lose weight, skin becomes radiantly healthy, illnesses are healed, scar tissue rejuvenates, and we detox our whole system on a massive scale. – Angela Stokes
  • When you juice, you use waaaaaay more fruits and vegetables than you could actually eat at one time. As a result, you are drinking a HUGE quantity of vitamins, minerals and other plant-based nutrients that would be impossible to get otherwise.

• You give your WHOLE BODY a chance to “clean house”. Without the added burden of digestion, which takes a LOT of time and energy, the body is now free to work on other things like detoxing the liver and kidneys…and the remains of all those Ramen Noodles you used to eat! When we drink Raw vegetable juices, the situation is entirely different, as these [micronutrients] are digested and assimilated within 10 to 15 minutes after we drink them and they are used almost entirely in the nourishment and regeneration of the cells and tissues, glands and organs of the body. In this case the result is obvious, as the entire process of digestion and assimilation is completed with a maximum degree of speed and efficiency, and with a minimum of effort on the part of the digestive system. – Dr. Norman Walker: “Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices“, Pg 9
  • All vegetables are alkalizing (my clients know ALL about this!!). The benefits of maintaining alkalinity in the body are crucial. There are entire books written on the subject and this is something that I cover in detail in my private one-on-one sessions, so without getting into too much detail, here are just a few benefits of maintaining an alkaline environment in our tissues:
  • Improved focus and mental clarity
  • Improved heart and cardiovascular function
  • Anti-Aging
  • Improved bone & joint function
  • Stronger Immune System – infections and disease thrive in an acidic environment
  • Better digestion
  • Better overall mood
  • Healthier hair, skin and nails
  • Natural body weight
  • ENERGY!!!
  • Heart Health: Both antioxidant vitamins C and E  prevent the damaging effect of free radicals on artery walls. They prevent blood from sticking, clotting, becoming toxic as well as helping to lower triglycerides levels. Great levels of vitamin C can be found in most fruits and vegetables. Good levels of vitamin E can be attained by adding blackberries, kiwi, asparagus and spinach in your juice recipes.
  • Liver Detoxification: One of the primary functions of the liver is to serve as the body’s detoxifier.  It is involved with detoxifying harmful substances (like environmental toxins, chemicals, food additives, preservatives, drugs, etc) before they can enter the bloodstream and harm the body.  Periodic cleansing of the liver through juicing can be important in  maintaining good health.  Fresh juices reduce the burden on the liver and give it a chance to catch up.  Juicing allows the liver to rid itself of accumulated toxins, thus permitting it to operate more efficiently.

With all of those benefits, how could you NOT do a juice feast?! I know what you’re thinking, “I could NEVER do that“! Let me tell you, my friend is doing the 10 day juice feast with me and he is a fast food loving, pizza eating, beer guzzling, mexican food loving south Texas boy. If he can do it, YOU CAN DO IT. Seriously, take my word on this!!

If you need more inspiration, check out the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead streaming live on Netflix. It will be all the inspiration you need!

Here’s a delicious recipe that you can try. It’s not only delicious, it also helps eliminate pesky cellulite. Behold, the Cellulite Buster!

Cellulite Buster

• 1 peeled grapefruit
  • 3 peeled oranges
  • 1 peeled lemon
  • 1 inch knob or ginger

Run all ingredients through a juicer (I recommend Breville) and enjoy! (Makes 16oz)

Here’s a snapshot of the juice delivery I made for my friend. The large gallon jug is my favorite green lemonade and the small orange containers are called Dreamsicle.

Green Lemonade

• 2 cucumbers
  • 4 med size apples – I used fuji
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1/4 bunch parsley
  • 2 small lemons

Run all ingredients through a juicer (I recommend Breville) and enjoy! (Makes 32oz)

Dreamsicle

• 3 med sized apples
  • 2 cups red grapes
  • 1 small sweet potato – yes! you CAN juice sweet potatoes!
  • 1 pear

So basically I am just guzzling green juice all day, every day, for 10 days. So far I feel great! Other than the occasional craving, it’s been smooth sailing. One thing that juice feasting will do is help you to realize and identify your emotional ties to food. I’m never physically hungry, I just feel like eating because I am bored, cold, procrastinating, stressed, etc. It’s a really good experiment for anyone looking for a cleanse and to develop a deeper connection with the mind/body. I’m also doing regular colonics which really helps to keep detox symptoms at bay. I’ll be posting more about my experiences as the feast goes on. Feel free to ask questions if you’ve got em! :)

Have any of you ever done a juice feast or fast? If so, how did it go? For those of you who are juicing, what are your favorite juice recipes? I love hearing from you guys!!

PLEASE NOTE: Juice feasting/fasting/cleansing is a pretty major undertaking, and you should consult with a qualified health practitioner before throwing yourself into one. Do not use this post as your sole reference! Taking care of your body means doing it in a responsible way, being educated about the choices you are making, and taking small steps towards something greater. (1)

Looking for a fast easy detox plan? I’ve got everything you need to get started! Check out my step by step programs here.

Interested in one-on-one Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching with Linda? Click here and here for details on how to get started.

Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper left hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!

beauty cellulite cleansing dairy-free gluten-free hot body inspiration juice kale raw food real food recipes skin spinach sugar free vegan vegetarian weight loss wellness

146 Responses to “Health Benefits of Juice Feasting”

1. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

Why does it seem like all the juice recipes have kale, what’s the benefit of kale?

2. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

Do you put everything into a blender, or a juicer?

• Monika February 2, 2014 at 1:53 pm #

No, when fasting you should use juicer, not blender. Otherwise, you will not fast and get the same results.

3. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Eryka Alaric JUICER!

4. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 9:56 pm #

Crystal Rose, Kale is one of the most nutritious greens!! It’s a mineral POWERHOUSE!! Read more about health benefits of kale here http://bit.ly/Ap03Um

5. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 10:01 pm #

Thank you for the information.

6. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 10:06 pm #

In the recipes it keeps saying put thru the blender…r we blening or juicing?!?

7. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

In Australia we can’t buy kale off the supermarket shelf, and where I am our local veg shop only sell local produce. Only way that I know of getting it is to buy the seeds and grow my own :(

8. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 10:26 pm #

Can we blend these or do we need to juice? I able to blend my green juice just fine, but not sure how the other recipes will work out. Thx!

9. Kelly Jo January 10, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

excellent article. I am going to try the cellulite buster- that looks good. I also have a breville and have done a 3 day fast. Would like to try it for longer. I often juice as a meal replacement.

• jackie April 12, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Interestedin how to juice as a meal replacement. My husband and I would like to juice for breakfat , healthy lunch and juice in the evening. But with all the do’s and don’ts of mixing fruits and vegetables together…do not know how to to it. Thanks!

• Linda April 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

Hi Jackie, What specific questions do you have? It’s no problem to juice greens and fruit together! :)

• Dawn Graber April 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

I was told not to only add pears or apples to vegetables when juicing. Is that correct? Is it OK to add citrus fruits to veggies? I had heard that caused gas. Thanks!

• Linda April 14, 2012 at 9:56 am #

No, I’ve never heard or experienced that…in fact I had greens + citrus juice twice yesterday with no problems! Listen to your body though, if you’re having any discomfort then don’t do it, otherwise I say go for it!! :)

10. Kelly Jo January 10, 2012 at 10:31 pm #

I should add a favorite, I love carrots with orange and pineapple.
    Also, it was very satisfying to juice last summer using all vegetables from my garden. I juiced green pepper, tomato, lettuce, jalepeno and added ginger.

• Linda January 12, 2012 at 11:43 am #

Kelly Jo, yumm! Sounds delish!!

11. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 10:37 pm #

Ashleigh Maree, you can always use spinach, romaine or any other green leafy vegetable instead :)

12. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 10:38 pm #

Seniqua Johnson these are all juice recipes! Click here for info on how to make juice w/out a juicer http://bit.ly/vYKpVC

13. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 10:39 pm #

Thank you!

14. Anonymous January 10, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

Leella Hall Cherry just corrected that error….no idea that it said “blend” thanks for pointing that out!!

15. Jamie Simpson January 10, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I am on it all the time for great ideas!! I have done juice fasts before and the longest was 28 days this past summer. I’m actually on day 2 now, of my newest started one, and my goal is 60 days (AKA Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead). It’s going great and I’m posting videos about my experience on youtube and my blog also. I love how you explained everything here! Would it be ok with you if I included a link back to this page? I think my readers would love your blog too!

• Linda January 12, 2012 at 11:42 am #

Jamie, of course you can link back to my blog!
      Way to go on the 60 day juice fast!! I will def check out your blog! Thanks for posting! xo

16. Desmond January 10, 2012 at 11:35 pm #

great blog. very nice , colorful pictures. what do u think of a Jack Lalanne juicer ?

• Linda January 12, 2012 at 11:41 am #

Hi Desmond,
      Jack Lalanne is ok. I’ve used it before. It will get you by but I would def recommend the Breville brand. It is a much better made product and will produce a drier pulp with better quality juice! Happy Juicing!!

17. Anonymous January 11, 2012 at 5:12 am #

Are these the only juices you ate drinking or are there other juice recipes that you are drinking as well?

18. Anonymous January 11, 2012 at 5:12 am #

Sorry meant to say- are drinking.

19. Jen January 11, 2012 at 5:58 am #

I finally decided to put kale in my juice (I do have a Breville), but very little was juiced. Is this normal? Do I need to do anything with the Kale before I juice it?

• Linda January 12, 2012 at 11:39 am #

There’s not a lot of liquid in kale BUT there is a TON of nutrition!! Just use kale in addition to your other juices and you’ll be getting a HUGE amount of incredible minerals and nutrients, even though it doesn’t look like a lot of juice!! A little bit goes a long way!!

20. Anne Kingston January 11, 2012 at 6:28 am #

Love your site and your enthusiasm for Juice Feasting (what a great name). I started making raw juice drinks about 6 months ago but have never gone ‘just juice’. I use kale or spinach, celery, beet, frozen berries, and whatever fresh fruit I have available. Also add a capful of Aloe Vera juice, a spoonful of Maca (like ginseng) and a teaspoonful of PureSynergy and a splash of fresh apple juice to keep it all liquid. I love them. Might try your Juice Feasting for a few days soon.

• Linda January 12, 2012 at 11:37 am #

Anne, sounds lovely!!

21. Diana January 11, 2012 at 7:28 am #

Is is ok to save juice for a short period (?) using an airtight container (mason jar or something with a lid)? My juicing experience (3 days in duration) was thwarted by the amount of clean up. If I could juice once per day it would be much easier. Thanks for a great read.

• Linda January 12, 2012 at 11:37 am #

You can make all of your juices for the day and store them in a glass, airtight container (I use mason jars) in the refrigerator for up to 12 hrs. Fresh is always best but if you’ve got to make your juices all at once for the day, that’s no problem :)

22. Anonymous January 11, 2012 at 8:23 am #

Maria Pineda Barreras, These are the juices I made yesterday. I will post more recipes as the juice feast continues :)

23. Keri January 11, 2012 at 8:39 am #

I have never done a” juice feasting” before, but am interested in trying – how long should a beginner do this for? 3 days? 5 days? Also, when you are juicing, how many do you drink each day? Just in the place of meals or should you drink more? Thank you!

• Linda January 12, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Keri, you should drink as much as you need to feel satisfied. Typically that will be anywhere from 3-5 quarts depending on the person. 3-10 days is a good starting point! Watch the movie Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead for inspo!!

24. Anonymous January 11, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Great post Linda! We did a juice “feast” last September. Difficult but rewarding! One thing that we learned from it, and will make sure to do next time, is to use a natural laxative or do a “colon cleanse” at the same time. A juice feast is a perfect time to rid our bodies of the toxic waste that has accumulated in our colons for YEARS! Plus, it shuts down the digestive system much quicker and your hunger diminishes faster. Wish we wouldn’ve known this before we started our “feast” :)

25. Anonymous January 11, 2012 at 11:25 am #

Jenuinely Pure absolutely!! I’ve used oxypowder as a colon cleanser in the past but now always get regular colonics during the cleanse. It makes such a HUGE difference!! Thanks for sharing! xo

26. Anonymous January 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Yes, please!

27. connie January 11, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

Oh my goodness, this is such a wonderful post. Beautiful images! I am seriously salivating just reading it. I love all those beautiful greens.

Thank you for the awesome recipes and the great tips! Connie x

• Linda January 12, 2012 at 11:46 am #

Connie, you are welcome!! xo

28. Alicia Chafin January 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

Question about your veggies & fruits: ok so I am trying to be green as well as healthy. There is no way that you are able to do a juice feast AND them all be organic AND be local, is there?. This is my dilemma. I am even in the south too (atlanta) and we can hardly get all that local &/or organic this time of year. So which route do you choose: whatever you can get your hands on, local, or organic?
    Thanks, I was just curious. looks yummy!

• Linda January 12, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Hi Alicia,

Yep, just get the best you can find! It is very difficult to get ALL local and organic…unless you live in SoCal!! Just get the best you can find, it will still be fabulous!

29. Dawn Graber January 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm #

Just to clarify, when you say you are drinking “green” juices all day, do you mean one specific kind of juice is being drunk all day or can you drink any raw fruit or vegetable combo?

Also, is an herbal tea with senna enough of a laxative for cleansing during a juice fast? I just don’t want to overdo anything! : )

Thanks!

• Linda January 12, 2012 at 11:31 am #

Hi Dawn,
      I am mainly drinking my green lemonade recipe but that is because it’s what I am craving! You can do any combinations you like! I do recommend getting a good amount of greens in your juices as this is your biggest mineral source!

30. Cynthia January 13, 2012 at 7:59 am #

Made the Cellulite Buster this morning. Sipping it now. Nom, nom, nom! Would NEVER have thought of ginger with grapefruit! I ran it through my Kuvings masticating juicer and it was AMAZING. Also something I would not have thought of. RE: the Breville, any issues with leafy greens? I have had two centrifugal juicers (not a Breville, though–Jack LaLanne and a similar one) and felt like the greens didn’t juice very well. So far, I’m much happier with my masticating juicer. SO easy to clean!

31. Sarah January 15, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

How do you count calories for a juice when you are trying to lose weight?

32. Rosanna January 17, 2012 at 10:13 pm #

Is it possible to do this juice feast for 10-60 days and get sufficient protein? I am excited to start, but a little nervous about the lack of protein during this cleanse…

33. njohn January 18, 2012 at 9:21 am #

is it neccessary to do colonics, or take colon cleansing supplement (laxative) while doing the juice feast? and if you are storing the juices for the day (my husband would have to take them to work) would they go bad during the day or do they just lose more nutrients as the time passes?

34. Sydney January 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm #

Is this safe for an endurance athlete to try for 10 days? Will you be able to get a good amount of calories/protein? I know the average person gets too much protein in their diet.. but I’m in training and know that my muscles are rebuilding daily. Just curious!

• Linda January 20, 2012 at 11:40 pm #

Sydney, You can do juices but add more cals by using lots of carrots, beets, and sweet potatoes as your base. You may also want to modify slightly by doing both juices AND smoothies. Pay attention to how you feel, if you are not able to take a rest from exercise, you’ve got to let your body guide you. It may be too much for your body, just listen, it will tell you!

35. Sandy January 24, 2012 at 10:27 pm #

I made my first Green Lemonade and it’s really good. I was surprised. My 11-year old tried it too and also liked it. He thought it had a “bit of an aftertaste”, but he liked it and he started coming up with all sorts of other things that we can put into our juices like celery and more lemon he thought. :)

Thanks for all the helpful info and the inspiration. :)

• Linda January 25, 2012 at 11:01 pm #

You are so welcome!! So glad your 11 year old was open to the juice! Kids to great with juices, you should have him help you make it! Kids will almost always eat something if they prepare it themselves!!

• Sandy January 26, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

He started making his own juices last night with my supervision of course. He was so excited and had lots of fun making his own juice. :)

36. lindsay challen February 9, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Love your juice recipes! Would love to try the cellulite buster, but can’t eat oranges – they cause migraines for me. Is there something you can recommend to help bust cellulite without the oranges? A good substitute for oranges?
    Thanks!!
    Lindsay

p.s. yogurt of any kind also causes migraines for me :(

• Linda February 10, 2012 at 9:02 am #

If you don’t like oranges, simple omit them or use a different citrus fruit like tangerines, mandarin, clementine, etc :)

37. Molly February 11, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

I absolutely love your recipes! I’ve been drinking the Green Smoothie every morning since I discovered it! I want to make the Dreamsicle smoothie, but am confused about the sweet potato. Am I right to expect that it should be cooked beforehand? I don’t think raw potatoes are edible, but will a cooked sweet potato still be juiceable? Thanks!!

• Linda February 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

No it should not be cooked, you will be running it through a JUICER which will extract the juice only and leave the pulp so no need to cook it.

38. Bella February 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Hi Linda!

Love your blog, I have made quite a few of your juice recipes as well as some of your food ones and they have all been super yummy! Loved all the juice recipes I have tried and the cauliflower spag., and oven roasted tomatoes. I linked this post to my blog when I put one of my juicing recipes on there. I hope you don’t mind. :)
    Thanks for having such an awesome health blog with tons of yummy recipes.
    Bella

39. Dan K March 6, 2012 at 3:22 am #

i just spent some of my tax money on a omega 8006 i am so excited to start a new chapter on my life with jucing and many other amazing healthy things i feel i need to lose 100 pounds to feel alive again so day by day and step by step. thanks linda glad i found you on facebook last week i love your page and site amazing and i would say your Brilliant

dan

40. Ari March 9, 2012 at 11:11 am #

Hi!! I just found your blog and I’m so excited to have all of this great information in one place!
    My husband and I did a 10 day juice feast last week and because of IBS I only made it to day 5. We eat very healthily, we were just doing it for the cleansing part.
    I do have two questions for you, how do you count calories for each juice? I’ve done a lot of research on this and have come across tons of different information.
    Second question is, I don’t have access to a place where I can get colonics, what would you recommend for laxatives for someone that has problems with IBS? I tried the “smooth move” tea with senna, but found that I was still constipated.

Thanks for all of the wonderful information on here!
    Ari

41. Plok March 18, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

This slightly confuses me, how is it possible to function properly (and I’m talking specifically about number 2′s here) without any fiber in your diet? My friend said she tried this ‘juice feast’ for a few weeks and was constipated for the majority of it, because you are literally cutting ALL fiber and roughage out of your diet, which is absolutely necessary to live!

42. Brittany March 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

I’m drinking the Dreamsicle juice right now and it’s delicious!! Thanks for the recipes :)

• Linda March 26, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

Awesome Brittany!! So glad you like it!! xo

43. Vibeke April 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

I am interested in doing a juice feast this summer when more fruits and vegetables are in season. Colonics are not available anywhere close to where I live, so would you recommend enemas instead?

44. Heather April 17, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

How do you make sure you are getting enough calories in your day while juicing? I know I am in serious need of a juicin’ feast!! But, I am curious as to how often you drink juice? Do you just whip up some when you are hungry? I’m a stay at home wife so I have nothing else to do :)

45. Louis April 18, 2012 at 12:17 am #

Just finished with a 1st time ever fast for 20 days and it was amazing. I’ve learned a lot about my body. Besides feeling amazing in terms of clarity and vitality I’ve lost 37lbs! My body reacted really well to it. My favorite drinks:
    1.) Pink Lady apple, lime juice, coconut water over ice. (Afternoon pick me up)
    2.) Pomelo, pink lady apple, coconut water.
    3.) Kale, carrot, cucumber, granny smith apple, meyer lemon, knob of ginger.
    4.) Red cabbage ,jalapeno, lime, carrot.

• Linda April 19, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

Louis, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Your juices sound DIVINE!!! I want to make and drink each and every one of them! Thanks for sharing your lovely recipes and way to go!!! A 20 day juice feast is quite an accomplishment! 37 lbs down – Wahooo!!! xo

46. Ashley May 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

i have been wanting to try a juice feast! i just need to invest in a juicer first:)<3 definetly on my to do list

47. Vanesa May 31, 2012 at 5:32 pm #

Hi Linda!
    I’ve been contemplating a juice fast for a very long time now, and reading your blog has given me the extra push that I feel like I needed to start! But I have a question..how do you store juices? Or how can you bring them to work and what not? Can they be kept in the fridge or do you need to make them fresh every time you drink them? Thanks so much, look forward to hearing from you!! :)

• Linda May 31, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

They can keep in the fridge for 12-24hrs depending on the type of juicer.
      You can also freeze ahead of time if you need to :)

48. Denise Shur June 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

I like the idea of your Green Lemonaide. Could I “blend” the ingredients in my Vitamix, except the citrus? Then use a citrus reamer to get the lemon juice to add to it? Maybe add coconut water as needed? I like the idea of getting all of the fiber, but respect your thoughts about this….

• Linda June 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

You could try it but I honestly don’t think it would taste very good as a smoothie!

• Denise Shur June 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

Thanks for your advice… now I’ll make a mini-batch to give it a test drive as a smoothie. I’ll let you know how it goes.

49. Ashley Rone June 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm #

Hi Linda, why do you say to peel the fruit? I’m using a Breville and have no problems throwing the whole fruit/veg in there. THanks!

• Linda June 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm #

I peel my citrus because I find the juice is very bitter when the pith is included

• Denise Shur June 19, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

If you like lots of that citrus oil taste, maybe you could use the zest and toss it in with your other fruits/veggies before you peel the citrus? That way it might taste more citrusy without all the bitter pith. Just a thought.

50. Kim July 2, 2012 at 6:12 pm #

Thank you for all your research on juicing. Can I use canned vegetables, roots, or fruit as a replacement for maybe just one of the ingredients? Beets, for example are messy and take a bit more care to prep or maybe not even available at the grocery store. Would it be okay to use canned beets? Or maybe canned cranberries?

• Linda July 3, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

Absolutely NO canned fruit or vegetables!! You must use fresh, raw vegetables only!

51. Melisa July 2, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

I’m happy to find your website and find information and testimonials for someone doing a juice feast in 2012. Almost everything I find is for people doing this back in 2007-2009. I’m planning my first juice feast to start mid/late July. I’ve done juice/smoothy fasts before – the longest for 9 days. I’d love to do the whole 92 days, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to, but I really want to! Happy for your blog to help.

• Linda July 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

Awesome Melisa, happy to help!

52. Desma July 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

SOOOOOO refreshing! Love it!

53. ladydee August 2, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

i did a juice fast for 7 days for detoxification and it surprisingly cleared up my eczema 100% i suffered for years with eczema and dermatologists had not been able to help me and would actually cause flare ups from their harsh steroid creams. i also do 7 day water fasts twice a year for spiritual reasons but i never felt anything like on the juice fast. it’s been 2 years since my fast and the eczema hasn’t come back. i’m planning on doing another 7 day fast soon for a maintenance boost. i might even extend it because the first fast was supposed to be a 21 day fast with my juicing buddy/roommate but they broke down and i caved even though i wasn’t actually hungry.

• Mark May 13, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

Could you give me an idea of your recipes? I’m also battling with eczema and want to give this a shot, thank you!

54. Skye August 30, 2012 at 1:52 pm #

Can you talk a little about fiber? I have IBS and I started an elimination diet, though I’m now going to do a juice fast for a few days because I even have trouble with the bland foods of the elimination diet. What do you consume to get your 25-35 grams of fiber each day? If I don’t have fiber, I’m in a world of pain, that’s my motivation for asking. Thanks! :)

55. akhurnu September 4, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

I started a juice feast with a brand new Omega 8006 juicer, but just trying to get a gallon of juice, even using watery veggies and fruits, we went through a ton of juice and it took us an hour and a half to do it. My husband wants to join me for lunch and dinner, and I just don’t think we can afford that. Rather than having a juice that is mostly watermelon every day, we’ve decided to change it up a bit, having juice that does have a bit of fiber in it by adding some that is just blended to some that is juiced. In addition we will have a light dinner that consists of a cleansing congee or other Asian or Indian type soup. I know this won’t let my digestive system rest as much, but I’m hoping it will still be highly beneficial. I’d love some opinions.

56. akhurnu September 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm #

oops. No edit button. I meant to say that we went through a ton of produce, not juice.

57. Catrina September 18, 2012 at 11:21 am #

I just started a juice cleanse today…hoping that blasting my body with nutrients will help my body deal with stress better. I tend to be a stress eater so hopefully this will help me be able to distinguish real hunger from boredom/stress eating! thanks for the wonderful recipes!

• Linda September 19, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

awesome! Good luck Catrina! xo

58. dora September 18, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

when in your recipe for Green lemonade you say a 1 bunch of kale …how much is that

59. Cassandra Marie October 7, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

I have just fallen in love with juicing! Living in Uganda gives me a ton of fruits and veg to juice! Question about the Green Lemonade….we do not have kale out here but our spinach is very strong and more like kale and spinach. The bunches are very large. Would you still recommend me juicing a whole bunch?

Also one more very odd question. Do you know anything about juicing papaya or jack fruit? We have a ton out here and I would love to know if they are good in juice form. Thanks.

-Cassandra
    Cassandra Marie recently posted…Colors of HopeMy Profile

60. ashley October 27, 2012 at 4:02 am #

First of all I just wanted to say thank you Linda! you are so inspirational, this website and your newsletters have been AMAZING! I have started making green smoothies every morning and I’m loving it. I have also tried some of your recipes (cauliflower “mashed potatoes”, roasted veggies, etc. ) and they are soo good! I am trying to incorporate more vegetables in my diet and you have created a wonderful resource and inspired me to really make a change. I am thinking about doing a juice feast (love that term by the way) and need to purchase a juicer. What do you think about the Omega masticating style juicers? do you still recommend the Breville juice fountain over them? and do you recommend a masticating or centrifugal juicer? (I heard that masticating are better for leafy greens but take a lot more prep and time). Thanks! Keep up the amazing work!

• Linda October 30, 2012 at 4:21 pm #

Hi Ashley,

Thank you so much for your kind words!! I’m so glad you are enjoying the recipes and finding inspiration here!

There are pros and cons to both…

The Breville (centrifugal juicer)is easy to use, faster with less prep time but a little harder to clean and juice is a little lower quality
      The Omega (masticating juicer) takes much more prep time but is easy to clean and produces a higher quality juice.

That being said, it just depends on what is most important to you; ease and speed or quality. They are both excellent juicers. I always say the best juicer is the one you will use. What’s the point of having a masticating juicer with high quality juice if you never use it bc it takes too long…you can’t go wrong with either one! I hope that helps!!

61. Devin Abnet October 31, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

Hi! I am very excited to try this! I have a question, should I use a juicer or can I use the ninja blender? I’m guessing that it should be more juice than smoothie, extracting as much pulp as possiable…. But curious all the same! Thank you!

62. Emily November 10, 2012 at 10:38 am #

Hi
    I was inspired by your recipes and decided to try juicing I have been having juice for breakfast and dinner with a light lunch for a few days and am trying to go the whole weekend just on juice. my favorite recipe so far is 1/2 a pineapple 3-4 carrots (depending on size) and a little ginger.
    I have also been enjoying experimenting with different green juices. are there any juices that are particularly good for weight loss? Also when I am back at work on Monday is it ok to carry on having juice for breakfast/in the evening with a more solid lunch of soup or a salad or something? I ask because I get free lunch at work, also it is always very cold there so I am normally craving soup or something warm for lunch.

63. Sam December 2, 2012 at 9:45 am #

My husband are going to do a 3 day juice feast and wanted to use your recipes. We saw that you recommended about a gallon a day. The recipes you provided added up to 80 oz. Just wondering what you recommend for the rest of the 48oz? Also, I am completely addicted to coffee. I drank about a half a cup today and plan on breaking free tomorrow, but was thinking green tea might be a good option. Is it terrible if I cheat just a little with the caffeine? Thanks!!

• Linda December 3, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Hi Sam, the important thing is just to have as much as you need. Some days that may only be 32oz and others it may be over 64oz! The important thing is to listen and connect to your body and it’s signals. As long as you have about a gallon of juice on hand per day you should be fine :) Happy juicing!!

64. steve December 31, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

Does one need to be concerned with over doing it with amount drank in a day?

• Linda January 3, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

Nope! Have as much as you need to feel satisfied :)

• Sam January 4, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

After day two, day three for my husband, I actually found myself not very hungry and needing to set a reminder to drink my juice.

• Linda January 4, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

Awesome Sam!! Keep up the great job!!

65. Bianca January 12, 2013 at 10:18 am #

I was interested in adding Chia seeds into my morning juice. Do you know if I can add the seeds to my juice after it’s gone through the juicer?

• Linda January 14, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

sure, you can add them after you juice!

66. Alice Mavar January 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

I LOVE this post, just one question. I have been seriously considering doing a juice feast like this but I am in a unique situation. I live in southern Italy while my husband is stationed overseas and I have ZERO access to organic fruits and veggies. If I do this with just normally grown fruits and veggies it will still be beneficial right? I know I might not get as high quality of a cleanse as with organic produce, because of the chemicals sprayed, but I can still do the juice feast right?

• Linda January 14, 2013 at 3:04 pm #

It is best to use organic but if you don’t have access, regular fruits and veg are fine. You can also peel them before juicing. Stay tuned, I’ve got a Juice Feasting e-book coming out in next week!! It will have a step by step guide and tons of recipes!!

67. Teresa Hickey January 19, 2013 at 10:14 am #

Hi Linda
    Would I need to worry about the amt of sugar in your fruit recipes? I tried your cellulite buster last night and the dreamsicle…both are delicious, but I’m worried Im flooding my blood with sugar.
    Thank you for this by the way. Im on day two of my very first juice feast and I read this over and over and over to give me strength..lol
    Thank you!

68. Samantha January 21, 2013 at 10:25 am #

Do you have a good suggestion for a cucumber substitute in the green lemonade? They are a bit pricey right now :-/ Thanks!

• Linda January 22, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

you could try zucchini instead :)

69. Shellie January 22, 2013 at 9:57 am #

I want to start juiceing, but most recipes say drink immidiatly, but I work a full time job and need juices I can take to work, need energy for the am juice, fullness for the lunch juice.

• Linda January 22, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Shellie, juices are best fresh but can be taken to work too! Just do the best you can!

70. Ashley January 22, 2013 at 10:00 am #

What other vegetable can you use to replace the cucumbers?

• Linda January 22, 2013 at 1:23 pm #

zucchini would provide a similar taste

71. Jen Peters January 29, 2013 at 8:28 pm #

Just starting to juice for my tube fed daughter. For the life of me I cannot find how many calories are in potato juice, any idea? I need to count her calories….

• Linda January 30, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

I’m not sure…try fitday.com for a calorie counter :)

72. Bianca February 1, 2013 at 11:47 am #

I’ve been doing a green juice in the morning but it does not fill me up. I changed to green smoothies, with greek yogurt and it definitly fills me up. So I was wondering, would I get more of a benefit, by juicing my veggies/fruit first, then adding them to the blender with the pulp/fiber along with greek yogurt to get more of a filling meal.

73. Anna March 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm #

What is the best way to peel the Lemons, Oranges, & Grapefruit? Should I just use a potato peeler? I Love the Dreamsicle juice but the Cellulite juice was a bust because I didn’t peel the citrus ingredients. Also, what is your favorite juice for weight loss? I am really enjoying your page! :-)

• Linda March 6, 2013 at 9:23 pm #

I just peel them with my hands :)

74. Jessie Wangeman March 20, 2013 at 4:07 am #

I’m on day 4 and I’m loving it. I really enjoyed your article, very motivating. Do you know what is the difference between feasting for 30 days vs. 60?

75. Crowe April 3, 2013 at 4:01 am #

AGENT ORANGE ORCANIC ©
    -CAC
    2 tomatos
    4 whole carrots
    1 apple
    3 strawberrys
    1 stalk of broccli
    1 stalk of celary

76. SA April 10, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Hi Linda,

I’m trying a 5-day juice feast and i wanted to know if it was okay to drink a juice for breakfast and for lunch and then have veggies & fruits for dinner. Like a salad or fruit salad without any kind of seasoning or dressing?

Thx

77. Sarah April 14, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

So how much do you spend a week on produce? I am on a fairly tight budget and will have some greens and veggies from the garden to supplement. I love what green juice and smoothies I have tried, but it seems like it would be really expensive to do on a regular basis. Other than that issue, I would very much like to give it a go. What are tips for keeping the cost down?

78. Stephanie July 2, 2013 at 11:48 pm #

Quick Question: You say to do colonics, if you do as a normal thing, won”t you develop lazy bowels? And become dependent on laxatives.

I been juicing for a year now, doing well, always on the prowl for new recipes

79. Linda January 15, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

I would definitely recommend a colon cleanser! The one I use is Mag07 from iherb.com

Feel free to use my discount code WAG472 to get $5 OFF your first order or $10 OFF your first order of $40 or more + free shipping on orders of $20 or more!!

80. Linda January 15, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

Fantastic Bella!! Thank you for your kind words and so happy you are enjoying the recipes!!

81. Rizwan January 27, 2013 at 4:39 am #

Hi Ladydee. I have been suffering from eczema for most of my life. Im 31 years old now. My eczema is bad to the point where I had to take predisone and I am now on immuno-suppressants for the long term (Azathioprene – 150 mg/day). Was your eczema bad to that extent and then it got healed? I want to try a 15 day juice fast to completely detox my body with the hope that my eczema will heal. My eczema causes me pain everytime I simply bend my elbow or move my upper body around. How bad was your eczema before you did the fast?

Thanks.
    All the best with your skin.

82. Joanna February 6, 2013 at 11:42 pm #

Kale is a cancer fighter

1. Healthy Advantages of Juicing - October 22, 2012

[...] healthy form, this Acai berry is a fresh fruit of a exclusiveStart Juicing with Dr. Leslie Van RomerHealth Benefits of Juice Feastingvar base_url_sociable = 'http://bestjuicertips.com/wp-content/plugins/sociable/&#039; #header { [...]

2. Traveling Along | juice fasting, questions and todays program. - October 24, 2012

[...] this lady’s blog was encouraging today and i hope to try some of her recipes. who knew that you could juice a sweet potato?? EmailFacebook Posted in Her Posts, juicing. RSS 2.0 feed. « if at first you don’t succeed… [...]

3. juice fasting, questions and todays program. – Traveling Along - November 24, 2012

[...] this lady’s blog was encouraging today and i hope to try some of her recipes. who knew that you could juice a sweet potato?? [...]

4. juicing « delightfulcrab - January 8, 2013

[...] source [...]

5. Going Green | Linda Wagner - February 13, 2013

[...] off, green juice is PACKED with nutrients.  It’s like taking the biggest, baddest daily multi ever! [...]

6. Juice Feasting – A “How To” Guide | Linda Wagner - February 23, 2013

[...] that just adding one green juice to your daily regimen is a HUGE accomplishment and an absolutely WONDERFUL practice towards a [...]

7. “Let Food Be Thy Medicine”: Fighting Inflamation | .the rebel grrrl kitchen. - February 27, 2013

[...] Juice: there are a gazillion bloggers that have written about the benefits of juicing, so you don’t have to take my word for it. Getting a full dose of spinach in my bloodstream [...]

8. Juice Recipe for Weight Loss | Linda Wagner - March 10, 2013

[...] is day 9 of the juice feast! I’m almost done! Today I wanted to share with you the numerous recipes I have enjoyed over [...]

9. Raw Kale recipe for weight loss | Linda Wagner - March 13, 2013

[...] is day 5 of the Juice Feast, I’m half way done!!! And what I wouldn’t give to have a bite of this gorgeous kale [...]

10. 18 Blogs Extolling the Virtues of Juicing for Better Health « Au Pair Care - April 17, 2013

[...] Health Benefits of Juice Feasting By drinking only juice your body doesn’t have to spend as much energy digesting, and that energy can be used to repair your body. [...]

11. 18 Blogs Extolling the Virtues of Juicing for Better Health | The Water Filter Lady's Blog - April 22, 2013

[...] Health Benefits of Juice Feasting By drinking only juice your body doesn’t have to spend as much energy digesting, and that energy can be used to repair your body. [...]

12. Health Benefits of Juice Fasting — One World, One Family Blog - May 14, 2013

[...] To read the entire article, click here. [...]

13. Inspiyr.com | 5 Benefits of Juicing - June 21, 2013

[...] referred to from Dr. Norman Walker’s Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices on Linda Wagner’s website, unhealthy foods tend to leave your insides a mess. You may be full of toxins and not even know it. [...]

14. Juice Cleanse Is OVER | Art of Happy Everyday - April 14, 2014