Grain Free, Gluten Free, Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe

Tuesday, January 31st, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

I know you’ve all been anxiously awaiting this recipe ever since I posted pics on FB and twitter!

This recipe is AMAZING. Really, really amazing. It tastes just like regular pizza! I made it with a friend who regularly orders from Domino’s so I know if he likes it, you will too!!

Linda Wagner's Detox E-Books are HERE!!

I’ve adapted this from Megan’s recent version and I will definitely be making it again soon! I think this is the perfect Superbowl recipe. Instead of ordering greasy, processed delivery pizza, how about trying this healthier, gluten free version instead?!

For the crust you’ll need:

• 1 very large head of cauliflower (about 4 cups total after steaming and processing)
  • 4oz Garlic & Herb chèvre (soft) style goat cheese
  • 1 egg

Toppings:

• marinara sauce of choice (I try to use brands with as few ingredients as possible)
  • 6-8oz shredded goat mozzarella
  • several basil leaves sliced thin (chiffonade style)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Roughly chop cauliflower and process in a food processor. Mix until a fine “rice” like consistency is achieved.

Add cauliflower to boiling water to steam for about 6-7mins. Strain in a fine mesh strainer. Then place in the middle of a clean large dish towel and let cool.

Next, pull the sides of the dish towel together and twist to squeeze the remaining moisture out.

Combine ingredients well and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Megan stressed how important it is to use parchment paper but unfortunately, I was out. Greasing the pan worked but I will definitely use parchment paper next time. I think it probably just makes the whole process much easier and produces a firmer consistency.

Use your hands to form a thin, even layer. I kept the sides raised a little higher as a “crust”.

Bake in the middle rack of the oven for about 35-40mins. Once the crust is done, add your marinara and shredded goat cheese. Broil for just a few mins until cheese is melted. Remove pizza from the oven and sprinkle chopped basil on top.

This pizza is soooooo good!! Just as good as the real thing, only better because it’s perfectly combined, it won’t go to your hips, cause inflammation (as gluten usually does), or weigh you down! This is one of my new favorite meals and I can’t wait for you to try it!! You, your friends and family will all LOVE it!!

Variations:

• If for some reason you can not do any type of dairy you can substitute a raw ricotta cheese like this one or Daiya brand vegan cheese would also be acceptable. You can find Daiya at your local health food store or online.
  • If you are sensitive to eggs: Here is an easy to follow DIY article on replacing flaxseed for egg. You can give it a shot and let us know how it turns out!

Grain Free, Gluten Free, Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe

This is THE BEST Grain Free, Gluten Free, Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe!!
Author:
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: Italian
Ingredients
  • 4oz Garlic & Herb chèvre (soft) style goat cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 6-8oz shredded goat mozzarella
  • several basil leaves sliced thin (chiffonade style)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Roughly chop cauliflower and process in a food processor. Mix until a fine "rice" like consistency is achieved.
  3. Add cauliflower to boiling water to steam for about 6-7mins. Strain in a fine mesh strainer. Then place in the middle of a clean large dish towel and let cool.
  4. Next, pull the sides of the dish towel together and twist to squeeze the remaining moisture out.
  5. In a large mixing bowl use a spatula (or your hands!) to mix the strained cauliflower, egg and goat cheese. You can also add fresh herbs if you like, I added basil and oregano.
  6. Combine ingredients well and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Megan stressed how important it is to use parchment paper but unfortunately, I was out. Greasing the pan worked but I will definitely use parchment paper next time. I think it probably just makes the whole process much easier and produces a firmer consistency.
  7. Use your hands to form a thin, even layer. I kept the sides raised a little higher as a "crust".
  8. Bake in the middle rack of the oven for about 35-40mins. Once the crust is done, add your marinara and shredded goat cheese. Broil for just a few mins until cheese is melted. Remove pizza from the oven and sprinkle chopped basil on top.
  9. Slice and serve! If you have a cooling rack, it may help retain the firmness of the crust so you can eat it easily by hand.
  10. This pizza is soooooo good!! Just as good as the real thing, only better because it's perfectly combined, it won't go to your hips, cause inflammation (as gluten usually does), or weigh you down! This is one of my new favorite meals and I can't wait for you to try it!! You, your friends and family will all LOVE it!!

If you are interested in one-on-one Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching, please click hereand here for details on how to get started.

For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitterLOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email!

Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper right hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!

Detox 4 Women food combining real food recipes

57 Responses to “Grain Free, Gluten Free, Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe”

1. Amber January 31, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

Hi Linda – This looks WONDERFUL! My brother has a gluten sensitivity so I want to send this recipe to him, however, he also is lactose intolerant! Is there any other cheese he could use in the crust? He told me that cheddar and swiss usually don’t bother his stomach but I would like to know your opinion. Thanks a ton! :)

• Linda January 31, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

Does he do ok with goat or sheep products? Most people who are sensitive to cow dairy can still do goat products without any problem. If not, he can try a raw ricotta cheese like this one http://bit.ly/xQajZg or Daiya brand vegan cheese would be ok too http://www.daiyafoods.com You can find it at your local health food store :)

• Amber January 31, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

I will be sure to ask him and pass the links & recipe along to him. Thanks so much for responding, you have become quite an inspiration to me!

• Linda January 31, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

you’re welcome! I am more than happy to help!! xo

• Karen Gardeski June 9, 2012 at 11:55 am #

Hello, my son is lactose intolerant. We live in Central New York and can buy a brand of cheese called CABOT. Some of their cheeses are lactose and gluten free — especially the cheddar. Also some parmesan cheeses are lactose free as well. You may be able to purchase Cabot cheeses online as well.

2. Anonymous January 31, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

I make this and loooove it. Cant wait to try your version

3. Kat January 31, 2012 at 2:38 pm #

What can I use as an egg sub? I am allergic.. but not sure what would hold it together without the egg! ThankS!
    kat

4. Anonymous January 31, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

Linda this looks amazing. As a pizza lover (I could eat it everyday) I can’t wait to try this!!!

5. Anonymous January 31, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Oh yay! I can’t eat ‘normal pizza’ can’t wait to try this with friends. Thanks so much for sharing ;)

6. Anonymous January 31, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

and if cauliflower is too expensive, replace with zucchini. Just squeeze the excess moisture out of the zucchini pulp. xo!

7. Anonymous January 31, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

How many cal and what cant you replace the chesse with ????

8. Anonymous January 31, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

If you don’t want or can’t use cheese, simply omit it and add veggies or try a raw ricotta cheese like this one: http://bit.ly/xQajZg

Claudette Ironside Yarber I don’t ever worry about calories! When you’re eating whole foods, especially unprocessed fruits, vegetables, and whole foods you don’t have to!! That’s what is SO LIBERATING about it!! If you must know, you can use an online calculator like fitday.com but know that those details don’t matter when you’re eating whole foods! I go into a lot more detail about this in my one-on-one sessions if you’re interested in learning and understanding more :)

9. Anonymous January 31, 2012 at 3:38 pm #

Daiya Vegan Cheese is great with this..

10. Anonymous January 31, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

Thanks Alisha Noelle Robinson Ford!! xo

11. Anonymous January 31, 2012 at 3:52 pm #

If you can’t use eggs, try this DIY vegan substitute using flax seeds!!

12. Superfood Sisters January 31, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

I can’t wait to try this! Half of our family has a gluten and dairy allergy and it is always nice to have recipes that everyone can enjoy when we get together!!

• Linda January 31, 2012 at 5:38 pm #

Yay, let us know how it turns out!!

13. Anonymous January 31, 2012 at 6:39 pm #

I made a similar version and it was delicious! I topped it with roasted veggies and goat cheese. I am excited to try yours!

14. Anonymous February 1, 2012 at 6:52 am #

well doug just came home with a case of cauliflower now i have another way to fix it . this will on our dinner plate tonight. =)

15. Anonymous February 1, 2012 at 9:45 am #

I made this last night for supper and it was AMAZING!!!! Thanks for sharing such a great recipie!

16. Anonymous February 1, 2012 at 11:41 am #

THANK YOU! I can’t wait to try this!

17. Nina February 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Hi! I am new to this site and new to “clean” eating in general :) I was wondering why cow cheese is never used in any of the recipes! I am sooo excited to try this recipe! I am doing it tonight! :)

18. Yadsia @ShopCookMake February 1, 2012 at 6:28 pm #

This just blew my mind! Are you serious? That simple? OMG! And I don’t really say ‘OMG’ a lot. I will definitely be making this VERY soon and posting in my blog! Thanks for sharing this ‘amazingness’!

19. AbbyWarm February 1, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

I tried this tonight and WOW! I loved it. My kids {ages 5 and 6} loved it. My PICKY neighbor loved it. When my husband gets home I’m going to have him try it…but I’m not telling him it’s cauliflower until *after* he tells me he loves it ;) He’s worse than the kids! I loved that I could eat several pieces of this pizza and not feel “blah” afterward – just satisfied. This will definitely become a new regular in our dinner rotation! I have several relatives and friends who have gluten sensitivities and/or allergies, so I was excited to pass this recipe on to them. YUM!

• Linda June 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

Awesome Abby!! So glad you and your family enjoyed it!! xo

20. Kat February 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Do you follow a grain free diet?

• Linda June 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

Not 100% grain free but mostly veggies – grains on occasion :)

21. Anonymous February 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

I bought cauliflower tonight. :)

22. Cynthia February 3, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

This is incredibly yummy. Even when you screw it up a little bit. Next time I’m going to make the crust a bit thicker and try the parchment paper (I used Silpat, which was great until we got to broil). I also put too much sauce on (don’t do that) and I think 8oz of mozz is a lot. BUT, the basic flavors are all there. Amazing. And Bear, His Poochiness, who tastes tests everything that dogs are allowed to have that I cook, LOVES the cauliflower crust batter–licked the spoon clean and was looking for more! :)

• Linda February 4, 2012 at 11:43 am #

Cynthia, yes, parchment paper makes a huge difference!
      My pizza was HUGE I used 4 cups of cauliflower, that was AFTER steaming and food processing (should have included that detail in the directions, I will edit it to reflect that) so there was a lot of surface area to work with!! Hence, the amount of cheese!

So glad Bear approves too!

23. Kris February 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

I’m guessing the cheese – be it real or Daiya – is essential to keeping the crust together and getting it crispy. I made it with the pine nut “ricotta” AND a flax meal egg replacement. It still tasted really good, but it was definitely not crispy, nor would I have been able to hold it in my hands. But personally, that’s not enough to keep me from making it again!! I was just excited to be able to have pizza! (I’m on the anti-inflammatory diet.) I think next time I’ll make the crust with Daiya (I think I can have that) and use the ricotta for the topping. Yum!

24. Jamie February 7, 2012 at 11:12 am #

How cool is that! I am the originator of the cauliflower crust, but it is always so cool to see how people change the recipe and the proportions. Question: That is a lot of cauliflower to one small amount of binding agent in the cheese and the egg. Does it hold together in the hand as a slice of pizza does? Mine can be handled in the hand. Here’s the original: http://yourlighterside.com/recipes/recipe-the-original-cauliflower-pizza-dough-2/

It looks absolutely fabulous!

Fondly,
    Jamie
    Your Lighter Side

• Linda February 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

Hi Jamie, thanks for that! I’ll give yours a try sometime!

25. Donna February 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

I made this for lunch today, and it was fantastic! I added a few other veggies on top though. The chere goat cheese was a little difficult to find, but I’m used to that where I live. I have plenty of leftovers for tomorrow as well. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

26. Robbie February 10, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

I was wondering how it would be to steam the cut cauliflour and then process. Would that change the texture? Thank you

• Linda February 10, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

It would turn to mush :)

27. Andrea Christa March 1, 2012 at 11:53 am #

This looks fantastic and hoping to make this on Sunday. What if I don’t have a broiler? (electric stove lameness :( )

• Linda March 2, 2012 at 9:36 am #

I have an electric stove too. If you have an electric stove, you simply set it to the “Broil” setting :)

28. Rachael March 8, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Would it work to put the cauliflower in a blender if I don’t have a food processor? Definitely want to try this!

29. Rae March 29, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Would it work to put the cauliflower in the Vita-mix if I don’t have a food processor? Definitely want to try this but am without a food processor. Thanks!!

• Linda April 2, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

hmmm, you can definitely try!! Let me know how it turns out!!

30. Daniella April 23, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Wow. This looks amazing. Must try!

• Linda April 24, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

It is SOOOOOOO good!! You will love it!!!!

31. Mary Beth May 10, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

F#@K YES!!!!! I’ve been doing the Detox 4 Women program, which I absolutely LOVE, and I can’t wait to try this! You are awesome! :)

• Mary Beth May 13, 2012 at 1:48 pm #

P.S. I just made this and it was SO AWESOME! Even my boyfriend who is an Italian baker (and takes his pizza seriously, let me tell you) told me that he loved it! I used a little too much marinara, so it wasn’t as crispy as I wanted, but I know next time it will be perfect! I can’t wait till my basil plant grows more so I can make homemade pesto to try on one! Buon Appetito!

• Linda May 14, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

awesome!! It is seriously so good, I don’t know how anyone could not like it!!

32. Sarah Hook June 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

I’m making this now! My girlfriend is a serious pizza lover, but the pizza doesn’t like her! She will LOVE this :) Yay for perfectly combined pizza x
    Sarah Hook recently posted…Beyond FoodMy Profile

33. Natasha January 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Just tried it, it’s really really yummy!! I also added a little bit of mashed potato as I didn’t have much cauliflower…and I loved it!
    Thanks for the recipe Linda! :-)

• Linda January 7, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

nom nom nom! Glad you liked it!! xo

34. Mike Luque August 20, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

For those of you who are concerned about lactose, the level of lactose in a cheese decreases as the cheese ages and dries out. That’s why mozzerella is so difficult for lactose intolerant folk. It’s a “fresh” cheese and has a lot of lactose.
    Try a dry aged cheese, like a cave aged Gruyere, manchego, gouda or even a cheddar. You can get some cheddars that are aged for 6 months to 2 years. Not only will you avoid lactose, but your pizza will be ridiculously delicious.
    Mike Luque recently posted…The great sea salt myth. Sorry, y’all, there’s no minerals in there.My Profile

35. Renee L. January 20, 2014 at 8:35 pm #

Can you tell me which food processor you use? Mine have been too cheap to handle this sort of recipe. Thank you!

1. Cauliflower Crust Bread Sticks | - January 6, 2013

[...] when I first started to see several cauliflower crust recipes online, I was skeptical. How does one make a vegetable into a [...]

2. Cauliflower Pizza with Peppers #SundaySupper | Cravings of a Lunatic - February 18, 2013

[...] Source for the base: Linda Wagner's Grain Free Gluten Free Low Carb Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe [...]

3. Roasted Cauliflower Pizza w/ Baby Arugula & Roasted Garlic: Guest Post by Kim Bee at Cravings of a Lunatic - I Breathe... I'm Hungry... - July 31, 2013

[...] into this. I’ve made Wild Rice Pizza before but not Cauliflower.  I used a combination of Linda Wagner’s and The Detoxinista recipes.  Two great resources for healthy eating, I highly recommend both [...]