Get the Glow
Greeeeeeeen!! You gotta get your GREENS!! (Even if the greens are hidden like in the smoothie pictured above! Keep reading, the recipe is at the end of this post). Greens are the key to a healthy bod, balanced system, and maintaining long term weight loss. I simply adore my Green Smoothies and, as it turns out, so do you!! Here are just a few comments I’ve received lately:
“Hi Linda, I just made myself a “Green Smoothie”. I can’t believe how light, yet filling it is. I thought the photos you took of your green smoothie were heavily photoshopped on the color palette. Ha! I was wrong. That blender turns spinach neon green. And the flavor… Fantastic!!!” – Greg
“Hi Linda just tried your Green Smothie. And was full most of the morning. I am now going to have it every morning. I love how great it tastes and I did not snack like I would normally do, I was full. Thank you so much.” -MaryAnn
“I can no longer say I hate vegetables – thank you Linda, you’ve changed my life! My first session with Linda was on June 14th and started drinking Green Smoothies on June 16th according to Linda’s suggestion. It took just a couple of times and I got used to them, and now I’m totally in love with them!! I have bought more spinach since June 16th than I have ever bought in my entire life… loving it… and can’t go without! I use two very large hanfuls of spinach for my smoothies and don’t even taste it! I don’t even need to use Stevia to sweeten it because it’s already sweet enough from the frozen fruit added, along with the bananas… especially when you use very ripe bananas! I hated spotted bananas (would never touch them), and now I can’t wait for them to get spotty for my smoothies because they add so much sweetness! I now love vegetables with my meals and my husband can’t believe this is coming from the person he used to urge to eat more vegetables, but never succeeded! Linda, I am loving our sessions together and what I am learning from you… I am amazed at myself and I have you to thank.” -Cynthia (P.S. Cynthia is a rock star!! Love you Cynthia!!)
“I also love green smoothies – and so does my toddler! We drink one everyday, and they are usually very similar to your recipe above. I love that they are easy to make and fast to clean up after meal that I don’t have to think about at all – great for busy moms!” – Jenni
“I just made my first green smoothie (I’m drinking it as I type this) and it is SO GOOD!! I LOVE spinach, but never thought about putting it into a smoothie with fruit! I think I have just found my new favorite drink!! Thank you so much for sharing! ” – Laura
Parts of this post originally appeared in an article I wrote here back in March 2011. It’s all worth repeating though as the Green Smoothie is such a powerful tool to add to your weight loss arsenal. If I’ve ever fallen off track I immediately go back to my Green Smoothies. I’ll have them for breakfast, snacks, and they’re also great for pre & post workout fuel. It’s a fast, easy, and delicious way to get a big dose of vitamins and minerals, plus it tastes FANTASTIC!!
Don’t let the color fool you!! It is sweet and filling – even the kids love it!! They love to name it the “Monster Smoothie” or “Shreck Smoothie” or some other fun name but believe me, kids go crazy for it!! And it’s a great way to sneak in some powerful green nutrition into their diet.
It’s super fast to make and a great breakfast or snack option, especially for people on the go and those looking to lose weight. It takes only 2 min to make and clean up. Doesn’t get much faster or easier than that!!
This morning I made a super simple smoothie that knocked my socks off. All you need is a blender and the following ingredients:
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 cup fresh cut pineapple
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- ice (if desired)
Add enough water to blend and enjoy, that’s it! Forget the dehydrating morning latte and get the glow with a Green Smoothie instead. This recipe tastes like a dream come true and will make about 32oz.
I have clients, as you’ve seen above, who have literally changed their lives just by adding Green Smoothies into their routine. Great for weight loss, digestive health, supporting the immune system, and as a healthy and filling snack. After a couple of weeks you’ll have that ‘Glow’ – glowing skin, hair, nails, even eyes get brighter! Who doesn’t want that?!
Try any combo you like, all you need is a base of bananas, fruit of your choice and a couple handfuls of your favorite green (I like spinach as it has a really mild flavor that blends well).
Does the green color turn you off? Here’s another great recipe, not green in color but still has the amazing benefits of your typical green smoothie – just hidden behind the red/purple color of delicious berries 🙂 This is great for kids or family members who are opposed to anything green, they’ll never know – it will be our little secret! Shhhh!
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 small handful of baby spinach
- ice (if desired)
Add all ingredients to the blender with enough water to blend and enjoy! This recipe also makes 1 qt (32oz) Keep in mind, the more berries, the brighter the color. The more spinach you add, the more green/brown your smoothie will be.
Just like Cynthia’s quote said at the top of this article, spotted bananas make the best smoothies! Don’t be afraid of ripe bananas! If they start to get too ripe, simply peel ’em and freeze ’em to use later!
Go ahead, try it, I know you want to!! It may just change your life!!
Green Smoothie FAQ:
- People always ask me what kind of blender I use and recommend. I make all my smoothies using a VitaMix which is a super awesome, state of the art, amazing, must have high speed blender. They are the ONLY blender that will get you the creamy consistency that you desire. I love, love, LOVE my VitaMix and highly recommend investing in one if you are ready to make serious changes to your diet. I have had mine for almost 5 years and use it daily! If you’re not ready to drop that kind of cash, Hamilton Beach makes some great budget friendly blenders that you can get at your local Walmart or Target.
- If you can not do bananas for any reason simply leave it out or substitute any other fruit you like. If you want a creamier consistency, you can substitute avocado or coconut meat/flakes instead of the banana.
- If you cannot have the fruits listed, simply use any fruits that you CAN have. Same goes for the spinach. If you can’t use spinach, you can substitute any green leafy vegetable of your choice; swiss chard, kale, romaine, arugula, etc. The basic recipe is fruit + greens + water.
- If you want the smoothie to be BRIGHT green as pictured, use only lighter colored fruits like pineapple, green grapes, kiwi, green apples, yellow raspberries, pear, orange, etc. If you add darker fruits like strawberries, cherries, etc your smoothie will turn out to be more of a brown color – still DELICIOUS, just not as vibrantly green as in the pictures above.
- Can I add yogurt or milk to my green smoothie? I am a firm believer in proper food combining. Dairy does not combine well with fruit and will cause fermentation, yeast, digestive issues, and will not aid in weight loss. That’s the reason I don’t recommend adding yogurt or any other dairy products. Believe me, you will be satisfied with the smoothies, the recipe will make about a quart which will definitely fill you up!!
- If you have blood sugar issues, use avocado and/or coconut meat/flakes and semi-sweet fruits like grapefruit, berries, green apples, and add stevia to taste. I strongly recommend purchasing products through iherb.com. I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE iherb!! They’ve got the lowest prices ANYWHERE (often up to 40% below retail) and I can get absolutely anything I need from supplements & superfoods to shampoo, facial cleanser, bath salts and laundry detergent – you name it, they’ve got it!! I love you guys, so please feel free to use my discount code WAG472 to get $5 OFF your first order + free shipping on orders of $20 or more!!
- If you are constantly rushing out the door in the morning, you can make your smoothies the night before. They will last in the fridge for up to 24hrs.
- If you are REALLY pressed for time, you can make all your green smoothies for the week then freeze them. Each night remove one and let thaw on the counter or in the fridge so that the next morning it’s ready to go.
- A lot of people ask how many calories are in the Green Smoothie. I don’t EVER worry about calories! When you’re eating whole foods, especially raw unprocessed fruits and vegetables, you don’t have to!! That’s what is SO LIBERATING about it!! If you must know, you can use an online calculator like fitday.com but know that those details don’t matter when you’re eating whole foods! I go into a lot more detail about this in my one-on-one sessions if you’re interested in learning and understanding more
For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitter, LOVE me on facebook, subscribe to my YouTube channel, OR if you are interested in getting started on your own weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation, shoot me an email
Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper right hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!