Wednesday, June 8th, 2011

Healthy and Hearty

Wednesday, June 8th, 2011

Making Healthy Substitutions

[source]

It’s summertime and that means several things; longer days, warmer weather, long bike rides, aaaaand (the sometimes dreaded) swimsuit season!

Getting into a swimsuit for the first time can be a stressful and disheartening endeavor but have no fear, I’m going to give you a healthy recipe that will get you into that swimsuit and feeling confident in no time!

The first thing to consider when switching to a healthier lifestyle and shedding those winter lbs is finding healthy alternatives to your favorites. As you know, I don’t believe in deprivation, starvation, or suffering. Weight loss can and should be a pleasurable experience.  I honestly LOVE all of my meals. They are delicious, decadent, and totally satisfying.  Finding healthy alternatives is the key to losing weight and enjoying the process.

A perfect example is spaghetti. Who doesn’t love spaghetti?! It’s delicious, hearty and comforting. But with that delicious comfort comes simple carbs and lots of them. Simple carbs are NOT conducive to a smaller waistline and definitely not going to help you along your weight loss journey. So, what’s a girl to do??

Cauliflower with Goat Cheese & Marinara

You’ll need:

• Cauliflower
  • Organic Marinara Sauce
  • Raw Goat Cheese
  • Sea salt

Cut cauliflower into small pieces and steam in salted water until soft.

Drain and top with marinara sauce and shredded raw goat’s cheese (I like Alta Dena brand the best. It’s available at most health food stores).

This dish is like pasta only without the carbs, cellulite, and food-coma that come afterwards!! Plus it’s tasty and nutritious and kids love it too!

I made it pretty for the picture, but actually mine usually looks more like this:

What can I say, I love my goat cheese!! ;)

So, there you have it. Something loaded with carbs and empty calories is now transformed into a really simple yet filling, delicious, nutritious meal that will satisfy your taste buds without expanding your waistline!

Enjoy!!

For more healthy living tips and recipes please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitterLOVE me on facebook, or shoot me an email!

Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper right hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!

cleansing Detox 4 Women easy recipes real food recipes weight loss

14 Responses to “Healthy and Hearty”

1. Katrina June 9, 2011 at 3:07 am #

That “pasta” sounds lovely! Thanks for the tips.
    Katrina recently posted…Seasonal Fruit Salad with Honey-Mint Lime DressingMy Profile

2. Faith June 9, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Looks wonderful Linda. I love pasta and I’ve been craving it lately. This came just in time.

3. well in l.a. June 14, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Giving this a try! In the summer I want big, BIG salads. Pasta is more of a winter food for my palate. Adding my sauce secret to this… red pepper chili flakes!
    well in l.a. recently posted…New-Old In-OutMy Profile

• Linda June 19, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

Erin, you’re gonna love it!!

4. Sheila August 2, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

I’m in LOVE with this recipe. I eat this several times a week. My husband likes it better than spaghetti squash and I eat it in lieu of pasta. Thank you so much for sharing that.

• Linda August 3, 2011 at 11:10 am #

awesome!! So glad you like it! I eat it all the time too!!

5. Charly October 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm #

I just made this for dinner tonight, and it tastes even better than I expected!!! Can’t wait to tell all my gal pals about it too. Delicious! :) You are a wonderful inspiration, Linda!

6. Rachael February 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

WOW! SOOO delicious! I made this for dinner tonight and have to admit that I was a bit skeptical…. Boy was I wrong! Delish! Thanks for the great recipe Linda!

7. Michelle July 23, 2012 at 8:02 pm #

Made this tonight and it is so delicious! Thanks so much Linda for such yummy recipes :-)

8. Emily July 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm #

I’m intrigued… I’ll be trying it out SOON!
    Cheers,
    Emily
    Emily recently posted…Interview with BeautyEditor.caMy Profile

9. Katie August 6, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

I’m not really fond of goat cheese. Tried several different brands and they all taste like the smell of a petting zoo (sorry for the visual). Any suggestions on an alternative?

1. Healthy Snack Ideas | Linda Wagner - February 13, 2013

[...] Bread, and goat cheese on hand. There are SO many things that you can do with them! Pretty much all vegetables taste good with a little marinara and goat cheese on top! Little modifications like these help you [...]

2. Healthy Milkshake Recipe | Linda Wagner - February 16, 2013

[...] you know, I’m all about meals that are satisfying, delicious, healthy and FAST!! This decadent chocolate shake is no [...]

3. Healthy Lunch Ideas for Weight Loss | Linda Wagner - February 16, 2013

[...] So I stick to simple recipes and use decadent ingredients like REAL butter, sea salt, LOTS of goat cheese, garlic, and chocolate to make things [...]