Health Benefits of Lemon Water

Tuesday, May 10th, 2011

Morning Digestif

I love a glass of piping hot lemon water with ginger and stevia! Besides being absolutely delicious, it has a whole BOAT LOAD of health benefits.

Here are 10 health benefits of lemon water that you may not have known! (via LifeMojo)

1. Good for stomach Lemon can help relieve many digestion problems when mixed with hot water. These include nausea, heartburn and parasites. Due to the digestive qualities of lemon juice, symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, bloating and belching are relieved. By drinking lemon juice regularly, the bowels are aided in eliminating waste more efficiently. Lemon acts as a blood purifier and as a cleansing agent. The intake of lemon juice can cure constipation. It is even known to help relieve hiccups when consumed as a juice. Lemon juice acts as a liver tonic and helps you digest your food by helping your liver produce more bile. It decreases the amount of phlegm produced by your body. It is also thought to help dissolve gallstones.
  2. Excellent for Skin Care Lemon, being a natural antiseptic medicine, can participate to cure problems related to skin. Lemon is a vitamin C rich citrus fruit that enhances your beauty, by rejuvenating skin from within and thus bringing a glow on your face. Daily consumption of lemon water can make a huge difference in the appearance of your skin. It acts as an anti-aging remedy and can remove wrinkles and blackheads. Lemon water if applied on the areas of burns can fade the scars. As lemon is a cooling agent, it reduces the burning sensation on the skin.
  3. Aids in Dental Care Lemon water is used in dental care also. If fresh lemon juice is applied on the areas of toothache, it can assist in getting rid of the pain. The massages of lemon juice on gums can stop gum bleeding. It gives relief from bad smell and other problems related to gums.
  4. Cures Throat Infections Lemon is an excellent fruit that aids in fighting problems related to throat infections, sore throat and tonsillitis as it has an antibacterial property. For sore throat, dilute one-half lemon juice with one-half water and gargle frequently.
  5. Good for Weight Loss One of the major health benefits of drinking lemon water is that it paves way for losing weight faster, thus acting as a great weight loss remedy. If a person takes lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water and honey, it can reduce the body weight as well.
  6. Controls High Blood Pressure Lemon water works wonders for people having heart problem, owing to its high potassium content. It controls high blood pressure, dizziness, nausea as well as provides relaxation to mind and body. It also reduces mental stress and depression.
  7. Assist in curing Respiratory Disorders Lemon water assists in curing respiratory problems, along with breathing problems and revives a person suffering from asthma.
  8. Good for treating Rheumatism Lemon is also a diuretic and hence lemon water can treat rheumatism and arthritis. It helps to flush out bacteria and toxins out of the body.
  9. Reduces Fever Lemon water can treat a person who is suffering from cold, flu or fever. It helps to break fever by increasing perspiration.
  10. Acts as a blood purifier The diseases like cholera or malaria can be treated with lemon water as it can act as a blood purifier. (via LifeMojo)

Linda Wagner's Detox E-Books are HERE!!

Lemon is not the only power player in this recipe. Ginger is known to have some pretty remarkable health generating qualities like the ones listed below via Health Diaries

1. Colon Cancer Prevention A study at the University of Minnesota found that ginger may slow the growth of colorectal cancer cells.
  2. Morning Sickness A review of several studies has concluded that ginger is just as effective as vitamin B6 in the treatment of morning sickness.
  3. Motion Sickness Remedy Ginger has been shown to be an effective remedy for the nausea associated with motion sickness.
  4. Reduces Pain and Inflammation One study showed that ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and is a powerful natural painkiller.
  5. Heartburn Relief Ginger has long been used as a natural heartburn remedy. It is most often taken in the form of tea for this purpose.
  6. Cold and Flu Prevention and Treatment Ginger has long been used as a natural treatment for colds and the flu. Many people also find ginger to be helpful in the case of stomach flus or food poisoning, which is not surprising given the positive effects ginger has upon the digestive tract.
  7. Migraine Relief Research has shown that ginger may provide migraine relief due to its ability to stop prostaglandins from causing pain and inflammation in blood vessels.
  8. Menstrual Cramp Relief In Chinese medicine, ginger tea with brown sugar is used in the treatment of menstrual cramps.
  9. Prevention of Diabetic Nephropathy A study done on diabetic rats found that those rats given ginger had a reduced incidence of diabetic nephropathy (kidney damage)  - via Health Diaries

So try a nice hot glass of Lemon water with Ginger and Stevia, it’s delicious and good for you in so many ways!! You’ll need:

• 1/2 inch knob of ginger sliced thinly or grated
  • lemon
  • Stevia to taste

Simply pour boiling water over the ginger, let steep for about 5mins then add lemon juice and stevia to taste.

Looking for a fast easy detox plan? I’ve got everything you need to get started! Check out my step by step programs here.

Interested in one-on-one Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching with Linda? Click here and here for details on how to get started.

Don’t forget to sign up for my FREE Newsletter by entering your name and email address in the upper left hand corner of this page. I’ve got lots of fun stuff, exclusive content, and an exciting offer available to subscribers only!!

beauty cellulite cleansing dairy-free easy recipes eating disorders gluten-free hot body hot drinks juice moms nutrition raw food real food recipes skin stevia sugar free superfoods vegan vegetarian weight loss wellness

70 Responses to “Health Benefits of Lemon Water”

1. Cristina Ione Lopez May 10, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

i love this :]
    Cristina Ione Lopez recently posted…Citrine Quartz and Tigers Eye pendantMy Profile

• Linda May 12, 2011 at 9:07 pm #

Yay, glad you like it!! Absolutely LOOOOOVE your necklaces, btw!! xo

2. Faith May 11, 2011 at 8:38 am #

Great info Linda. I didn’t know that about lemon water. Thanks for sharing.
    Faith recently posted…To All the Mothers…My Profile

• Linda May 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

My pleasure Faith! xo

3. Katrina May 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

Thanks for the tips! I love lemon water!
    Katrina recently posted…Peanut Butter Crunch BrowniesMy Profile

• Linda May 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

Your welcome Katrina!! It’s the perfect “first thing in the morning” drink! :)

4. Penny May 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

In the Far East, ginger has long been used as a digestive aid ( very effective for nausea) and lemon juice for cleansing fat during digestion. This morning, I read in AARP magazine an article called ‘Painkillers in Your Pantry’ that ‘ginger relieves pain by blocking an enzyme that’s a key component of the inflamatory process’!
    I am going to try this drink, especially after a fatty meal!
    Thanks!

• Linda May 12, 2011 at 9:05 pm #

Awesome, hope you like it!

5. TL May 19, 2011 at 9:28 am #

Linda, do you know if instead of pouring hot water over the grated ginger you can boil water with the ginger inside and then add the lemon? I’ve done it this way before and I feel you can get more flavor out of the ginger… what are your thoughts on this?

Awesome website btw!

Greetings from Houston, TX!! I love Austin :)

• Linda May 19, 2011 at 10:06 am #

Sure, for the recipe you can absolutely do it that way! I am drinking some hot ginger/lemon tea right now, mmmm!!
      Thanks for the compliment, I love Austin too! :)
      xo

6. Cynthia May 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm #

Linda- what comes first in the morning, hot ginger/lemon tea or the green juice? And how long to wait before having the 2nd?

• ali November 6, 2012 at 10:56 am #

Linda-Would love to hear your answer to this question. Thanks! :)

• brittachristensen16@gmail.com March 7, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

Hi Linda!
      I would also like to hear the answer to this question. Which one should come first and how long to wait?
      Thanks,

7. nancy Huntley June 1, 2011 at 12:14 pm #

Linda~I was wondering if, by chance, you have to use hot water as opposed to just drinking luke warm filtered water. I also can’t stand the taste of ginger, but since reading the health benefits I believe I will try to learn to love ginger. My question is, can I receive the same health benefits from just adding fresh lemon juice to my filtered water? I am in need of losing lots of weight and have turned to drinking 64oz. of water and have been using lemon to help with that consumption. Thanks for your advice.

• Linda June 1, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

Yes Nancy, you can use any type of water with lemon. Hot water helps to draw out the flavors of both the ginger and lemon. Just experiment and see which way you like it best! :)

8. Keri June 7, 2011 at 10:15 am #

I don’t have a lot of experience with fresh ginger. When you slice or grate the ginger do you take the outer layer off first? or do you just slice it all together? Thanks! Love your info!!

• Linda June 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

I don’t take the skin off, it’s perfectly fine to wash and then use the whole thing :)

9. Heather June 27, 2011 at 8:23 am #

Linda – what a great post! So good, I had to share on facebook. I found your blog through Marcus Samuelsson’s and I’ll definitely be returning. All of my favorite things in one place – delicious food, beautiful photography, healthy living tips. Love it!

• Linda June 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm #

Thanks Heather!! I check out your website and you are such an amazing photographer!! Keep up the amazing work!! xo

10. Amanda November 23, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

Hi Linda!
    I’m new to your blog and have been searching the site. I found this particular article and had to ask you – can you use bottled lemon juice, rather than fresh lemon juice from the lemon? Same health benefits?
    Love your blog/work!! :)

11. Omayra December 30, 2011 at 4:23 am #

For the girl name Amanda , bottle lemon they put preserves and other thing we don’t know, best results use fresh lemon.
    Linda I love this info about lemon juice
    Thanks for caring for other people by posting this info

12. Amanda January 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

How much lemon do you normally do? I used 1/2 lemon squeezed in about 8ish oz. water. Should I use more lemon to get the full benefits? If I don’t consume all the raw ginger shreds and just drink “around” them am I still getting enough of the benefits? Thanks!!! I tried this this morning and it was so delicious!!! I was really surprised! I did add a dollap of honey, but will try it tomorrow without honey.

• surlena June 25, 2012 at 6:50 am #

Do you drink the shredded ginger in the lemon and ginger water? And for the detox tea do you juice the skins of lemons & tumeric?

• Linda June 26, 2012 at 3:30 pm #

I used lemon juice only. I did not drink the shredded ginger, however, you can if you want to.
        You can juice the ginger and turmeric with the skins, just be sure to wash them first :)

13. Richard Green February 29, 2012 at 8:42 am #

I love it and I am seeing the effects on my weight loss program. Starting weight 345 lbs. Now 323 lbs in 36 days.

I love it

• Linda February 29, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Richard, that is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats and keep up the great work!!

14. Sourav March 1, 2012 at 7:13 am #

Very detailed and well written article on lemon benefits. Great post, very helpful!

15. Tiyana March 19, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

why do you have to drink it hot? what if you just drink room temp lemon water with or without the ginger?

16. Tiyana March 19, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

ooops sorry! just found the answer to my question from a comment by Nancy. thanks for the great recipes Linda!

17. Lesa March 19, 2012 at 2:24 pm #

I live out in the s.t.i.c.k.s. There is never ginger available. Does it have to be fresh ginger????

18. Linda March 19, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

Do you add lemon to taste and is it possible that too much lemon juice can cause harm to tooth enamel? I’ve been following your blog for the past 3 months and absolutely love your smoothie recipes! You most certainly have a wealth of knowledge and a special give in sharing that with others. Keep up the fantastic work, Linda!

• Linda March 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

yes, just add lemon to taste :)
      You would have to use a ridiculously large amount for it to have any effect on tooth enamel!!

19. patty porter June 6, 2012 at 3:22 am #

i am 53 and having been drinking lemon and ginger for years, i think that’s why i my friends say i look in my early fourtees as it does wonders for your skin.

20. patty porter June 6, 2012 at 3:23 am #

21. surlena jackson June 30, 2012 at 4:47 am #

I tried the detox tea with the juice of lemon , tumeric and garlic in a pitcher of water. I used powered stevia. About 2 packs. A dash of cayenne . I think my porpotions maybe off. I couldn’t tolerate taste. I measured 2to3 inches of piece of tumeric and ginger may be I measured to much. I am use to drinking lemon and ginger water for months. And I drink green smoothies, that I love. Any idea what I did wrong

• Linda July 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm #

Just decrease the amounts of turmeric and ginger to your taste preference :)

22. surlena jackson July 4, 2012 at 5:41 am #

It’s so good to have someone to talk to that thinks like you do. Talking to people that can share experiences with each other. Especially when u need an alternative to medicine that u can feel working. Most health care people look at you like your’e crazy. Thank u.

23. Desma July 21, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

I had my first glass this morning without the stevia………..and OMG! It was soooooo good! I want to drink it throughout the day and even before bed to help relax and ease me into sleep! WOW!

24. Karthika August 2, 2012 at 12:52 am #

Hi , Just now am seeing all your post regarding lemon water ..
    Daily morning am having Hot water alone.. If i had a lemon in the hot water and have it daily is there any possibility to loss weight . Could you please guide me ..

Thanks in advance ,
    Karthika.

• Linda August 2, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Yes, but you must also follow a healthy diet of course!

• Karthika August 6, 2012 at 4:25 am #

Healthy diet means wat r the things should i follow Lynda????

• Karthika August 17, 2012 at 7:00 am #

Can you please suggest me ASAP :)

25. Anirak September 1, 2012 at 11:51 am #

I usually sweeten my morning lemon ginger tea with a small amount of raw honey. Is honey a good choice? I would love to hear your thoughts on honey.

• Linda September 5, 2012 at 10:19 am #

it’s ok, I just try to stay on the lower end with sugar

26. rukia October 14, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

cool.this is great info.tnx.u got wisdom girl!

• Linda October 16, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Your welcome!! xo

27. maria November 14, 2012 at 9:14 am #

Can you please tell me for weight lost how many cups of lemon water should I drink

28. Mija January 1, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Thanks SO much for all the wonderful lemon info. Some I knew but alot I didn’t and so much appreciate your adding to my “lemonpedia.” :)

I just began the start of the new year with hot water fresh ginger and turmeric and no sweetner (don’t really like Stevia and just don’t mind it not being sweet.) My 79 yrld mother’s diet has been predominately either raw, vegan or vegetarian at one time or another for the last 55 yrs with hot lemon and water being the one mainstays regardless of how she’s consuming food. She’s also always promoted turmeric and so I chose to add it to the ginger lemon combo. How I make sure I always have ginger around as I use it often in my cooking is:

After purchase (usally buy at least a half a lb or more) I wash and dry it (remember someone else has been handling before you!)

I then slice it on my mandoline because it produces uniform planks but a sharp knife and patience will give the same results. Sometimes I peel it but it’s not necessary.

I then place wax paper in the bottom of a cookie sheet and layer the sliced ginger side by side (do not stack on top of each other without a sheet of wax paper inbetween)

Next, place in freezer and once completely frozen, take the individual ginger “chips” and store them in containers back in freezer.

They freeze beautifully and individually and are ready to be juliened or diced or, I just slip whole slices into a tea cup or like I do, I drop a few slices into my thermos with the lemon and turmeric and let it steep like this and poor and sip.

Btw, the slices last for at least 6 months or longer in the freezer.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Linda January 3, 2013 at 2:49 pm #

Thank you for these wonderful tips!! Happy New Year!!

29. Jeff Otter January 10, 2013 at 1:01 pm #

Pretty nice. Will try when I get home!

30. Alexandra January 14, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

I read this and can’t wait to do it…. and in less than three minutes was done!
    Excellent taste….delicious! Thanks

31. Jamie January 21, 2013 at 12:23 pm #

Just wondering if ground ginger works as well or does it need to be fresh?

32. nikki February 7, 2013 at 11:54 pm #

please add me

33. rebecca March 31, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

Thanks so much for this helpful information. I was trying to find the benefits of water withe lemon and ginger as compared to drinking hot tea with lemon and ginger…is there a difference? Does the tea interfere with the lemon and ginger properties?

34. Rose April 2, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

This really works. I have my own concotion that I’ve been drinking after dinner since November. Not only does it aid in digestion but I swear, I work in the medical setting around alot of germs and while everyone has caught a flu, cold, or stomach bug i have not! I make a cup of green/white tea, add ginger, lemon, and cayenne. I supposed stevia can be added but I find its not needed. And for that matter, my parents were sick with upper respiratories on christmas so I made this tea for them with raw honey and they were loosening right up! Love lemon and ginger!

35. Dermajuvenate Review August 24, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Very good information. Lucky me I came across your site by accident (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book-marked it for later!
    Dermajuvenate Review recently posted…Dermajuvenate ReviewMy Profile

36. Kerrie January 5, 2014 at 2:57 pm #

LOVE LOVE LOVE the lemon/ginger water!!!!!
    For some reason I’m having trouble getting your news letter. Can you add me me to it? You are a AMAZING wealth of beautiful natural inspiration Linda! Thanks you so much from the bottom of my heart :*)
    Kerrie

• Linda January 6, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

I’ve added you, just check your email to confirm your subscription :)

37. Issho Genki October 16, 2014 at 8:35 am #

There are so many use of lemon, I actually didn’t know that it is good for our skin. Thank you for sharing this one it’s helpful.

38. Brian Westover DMD October 28, 2014 at 10:23 pm #

Interesting I knew about lemon water helping with sore throats but I wasn’t aware that it could help with dental problems as well. This is some very good information to have thanks!

1. 12 Delicious and Healthy Water Recipes | Best Pure Green Coffee Bean Extract - October 4, 2012

[...] Water Recipe #2 Lemon Water from LindaWagner.net [...]

2. BASIC LIST / SUGGESTED ITEMS FOR LONG TERM SURVIVAL - Page 278 - ALIPAC - November 28, 2012

[...] [...]

3. Sassy Water | Sitting Doesn't Get You Anywhere - February 11, 2013

[...] Check out this blog that tells you the benefits of water! [...]

4. Detox Tea Recipe | Linda Wagner - February 16, 2013

[...] I was ready for a little detox and so I made a variation of my favorite Lemon Ginger Detox Tea. The ingredients pack a powerful punch and act as an anti-inflammatory, anti-infective, [...]

5. Work and Lemon Ginger Tea | Smaller Kendra - April 2, 2013

[...] http://lindawagner.net/blog/2011/05/health-benefits-of-lemon-water [...]

6. BODY DIY: Boost your metabolism with natural remedies – Part 1 | Design Sorbet - April 5, 2013

[...] http://lindawagner.net/blog/2011/05/health-benefits-of-lemon-water/index.html [...]

7. Skin Rejuvenator Juice Recipe | fitlife.tv - March 25, 2014

[…] a rockstar antiviral and antibacterial. Lemon is known for it’s skin clearing properties and when consumed daily can have a powerful illuminating effect on the skin! […]

8. Goji Detox Tea | fitlife.tv - March 25, 2014

[…] already talked about how amazing Lemon Water is on it’s own but just look at the added benefits you get when adding ginger, turmeric, and […]

9. 5 Physical Signs It's Time For A Detox | Pine Tribe - May 23, 2014