Simple Hummus Recipe

Friday, April 15th, 2011

NO Bean Hummus Recipe

I looove me some hummus, I mean who doesn’t?! But guess what I don’t love….or rather what doesn’t love me? Beans. You know the saying “Beans, beans the magical fruit the more you eat ‘em the more you toot!” I’m hear to tell you that cute little saying is, in fact, true.

So what’s the deal with beans, why do they make you toot? Well, beans are interesting because they have both the qualities of a starch & a protein.  I am a firm believer in proper food combining and if you’re not yet, you should be. Food combining is a game changer - seriously, seriously important. (If you have no idea what I’m talking about then call me, set up a session and we’ll go over the principles in depth).

“Nature combines both starch and protein in beans and legumes, which means that while they are a natural plant food, they are not easy to digest. For weight loss or for anyone with bowel issues, I recommend avoiding starchy legumes.” – Natalia Rose, The Raw Food Detox Diet

So what happens when you have a starch and a protein together? Gas, bloating, and digestive issues. Another factor is that beans contain oligosaccharides. This complex sugar is virtually impossible to digest without some help because humans do not produce the necessary enzymes needed to properly break it down.

A great article from the Weston A Price Foundation says…

When consumed, these oligosaccharides reach the lower intestine largely intact, and in the presence of anaerobic bacteria ferment and produce carbon dioxide and methane gases, as well as a good deal of discomfort, not to mention embarrassment in polite society. (source)

Having experienced this phenomena for myself, I rarely eat beans. But don’t fret, you can still make your hummus and eat it too. Try this awesome bean-free hummus recipe!

You’ll need:

• 1.5 cups zucchini, peeled and chopped
  • 1 Tbs Lemon juice
  • 2 Tbs tahini
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • pinch of cayanne
  • sea salt to taste

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. That’s it!!

Health begins in the gut, and a happy gut is bean free! With this delicious recipe you won’t even miss those beans!

Believe me, I recently went on a hummus rampage!! I don’t know what came over me but alllllllllllll I wanted was hummus and carrots, Hank too! Here he is waiting patiently for his carrot stick (no hummus for him)! He looooooooooooves his carrots!

Like so many of us do, I can get caught up in my busy schedule.  Last week while on the run, I decided to buy a container of pre-made hummus from the store. One little carton of hummus can’t be bad, right?! Well I will tell you what this experience taught me; I haven’t had beans in quite a while and I won’t be having them again anytime soon! I was so bloated and uncomfortable, now I remember why I don’t advise any of my clients to eat beans either!

Beans are a slow-exit food which means it takes a long time for them to pass through our digestive tract. The longer it takes for a food to exit the body, the more opportunity for waste bi-products to accumulate in the body.  All that gas a bloat is happening for a reason, listen to your body’s cues!

If you simply can live without beans here are a few tips to help your body digest them a little more easily:

• Beans should be bought fresh
  • Pre-soak in water for at least 8 hours or overnight
  • Cook thoroughly - This is the single most important factor in making beans easily digestible. Beans should be cooked until they are soft all the way through, with no firmness or crunchiness.
  • Boil beans on high for 10 minutes before main cooking method
  • Use supporting spices - Indian cooking uses ginger, turmeric, and sometimes fennel and asafetida to cook with beans to make them more digestible.

So, for those of you who simply CAN NOT live without your beans, be sure to follow these tips to make them more digestible. BUT If you really want to take your health to the next level, forget the beans and try this amazing hummus recipe instead! You’ll be glad you did…and so will the people around you! ;)

To continue receiving healthy recipes, health info, and daily inspiration please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitterLOVE me on facebook, or if you’re interested in one-on-one Coaching, shoot me an email!

easy recipes raw food real food recipes

31 Responses to “Simple Hummus Recipe”

1. Becca April 15, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

I can’t wait to try this recipe Linda! I actually have a mild allergy to beans (all types inclunding soy) and although I love hummus, it doesn’t like me.

• Linda April 17, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Becca, I hope u like it!! Let me know what u think!

2. Cristina Ione Lopez April 18, 2011 at 12:58 am #

ahh i must try this ! and get tahini :x iherb is amazing thanks for linking us to it (in an earlier post)
    Cristina Ione Lopez recently posted…Citrine Quartz and Tigers Eye pendantMy Profile

• Linda April 19, 2011 at 9:53 am #

Your welcome Cristina!!
      xo

3. Shu Han April 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

Ah need to try this! I love hummus, and usually ahve no problems with beans, especially when they’re soaked, but this sounds like a great alternative for a dip that sits less “heavily” in the stomach (:
    Shu Han recently posted…Soft-boiled Egg with Sesame Roasted Broccoli SoldiersMy Profile

• Linda April 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

You’ll love it Shu!

4. Monisha June 30, 2011 at 8:54 am #

I’m so confused now!! Everywhere I’ve looked, legumes and pulses have been recommended for consumption if I want to lose weight – which I’ve been trying to do. So are they bad for losing weight then? I’m Indian and we have a legume rich diet. I especially eat a good deal of garbonzo beans and I have red kidney beans with rice too. Is this a bad thing? :// I have to agree that they sit in your stomach for a llong long time. I made the mistake of eating some pre-workout. Bad idea!

• Linda July 8, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

Hi Monisha,
      I’m not a huge fan of beans for weight loss. They have properties of both a starch and a protein don’t digest well for most people (hence the gas and bloating). If you are eating beans and legumes and still losing weight then I say go for it. But if not, I would try cutting them out for a while and see if that helps :)

5. Valeria July 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

I have a question do you have to cook the zucchini before mixing everything?

• Linda July 8, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

Nope, no need to cook the zucchini :)

6. Jenna December 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

I have a ridiculous obsession with hummus and had the hardest time giving it up when I changed my diet. I am literally bouncing with joy right now! Bring on the carrots and pretzel thins!

7. Kat February 6, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

This is amazing ( I too could not get off the hummus and the beans kill me)!! I put roasted red peppers in it too to make a different flavor.

8. Jessica February 8, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

If beans aren’t easily digestible, what about soy milk? Is that ok? I drink a fair amount of soy milk throughout the day.

• Linda February 10, 2012 at 9:07 am #

I’m not a fan of soy for numerous reasons. 1. It does not digest well and is quite “gluey” in the intestines. 2. It is very estrogenic. With all the hormonal imbalances and illnesses that are rampant today, I stay far away from anything that could throw off this delicate balance.

9. Sara Campbell February 24, 2012 at 5:48 am #

So quinoa which combines both starch and protein is ok? Is it mostly the oligosaccharides found in legumes?

10. Monika March 2, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

This is a GREAT recipe! I could take this to a party and nobody would know it didn’t have chickpeas. I like Kat’s idea of putting in roasted peppers, I’ll try that next time. Thanks so much!

11. Lisa April 14, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

Hi Linda!
    I found this to be quite watery. Is this how it is ment to be?
    Many thanks,
    Lisa

• Linda April 17, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

no, I’m not sure why it would be watery? Maybe add more tahini to thicken it up?!

12. Nicole April 15, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

Linda,

In food combining, what is quinoa considered? I’m just confused about what I can and can’t eat it with.

Thanks!
    Nicole

• Linda April 17, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

it’s a starch

13. Angela April 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Beans, Beans, They make you smart. The more you eat, the more you fart! :o) Sorry, I just had to do it! LOL! To heck with proper etiquette. HA HA.

I am a complete Hummus lover. Chick peas (Garbanzo Beans) are a main staple in my diet, and I make hummus once a week. But this does look a little more like a thick sauce then a paste like hummus is. But if we had Zucchini here I would definitely give it a try, even though I have never tasted Zucchini in my life. Is there another Veggie out there that is like Zucchini?

• Linda April 24, 2012 at 7:33 pm #

LOL Angela! I’m sure, yellow squash would be nice too! …maybe even cauliflower?! You’ll have to try it and let me know!

14. Natasha June 3, 2012 at 7:37 am #

hi Linda!

Thank you very much for this recipe! I tried it today and it’s really nice!
    I love hummus! this one looks like real hummus, ate it with carrots and cucumber!

• Linda June 5, 2012 at 9:49 am #

awesome Natasha!

15. Rachel June 8, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

I saw this recipe about 10 minutes ago and ran into my kitchen to make it! It’s sooo good! I was planning on making a beanfree hummus almost exactly like your recipe but it had 1/4 cup of olive oil in it and I am trying to limit the oil in my life right now. I realize I am consuming wonderful healthy fats but too much of them for the extra 15lbs to fall off. Thank you so much for the inspiration and information!

Hugs!
    Rachel

16. Sara July 21, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

I was out of tahini, so substituted soaked raw sunflower seeds. It was amazing!!
    In fact, it was so good, I immediately made it again with cauliflower.
    Since I went raw vegan, I’ve missed (garbanzo bean) hummus, which was one of my staples.
    Thanks for the great recipe!!
    Sara

17. Katie July 31, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

I’m so excited to make this! How long do you think it would keep in the fridge? I only ask because I often like to make things on Sunday to have for the entire week, but if it wont last that long then I will not make as a “make-ahead” dish for myself!

18. Lauren January 27, 2013 at 11:19 pm #

I bought tahini yesterday just to try this! :) I found that it tasted reeeeaallly lemony, so I had to add a bit more of all the other ingredients to balance it out. I would recommend for people to blend it first without the lemon juice and then add it little by little until it tastes just right! It tasted great with baby carrots. Thanks for the awesome idea!

• LJ February 8, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

Thanks for letting us know about the lemons. I’m making this this evening and will take your advice. ;)

1. How to Stay Healthy During the Holidays | Linda Wagner - July 10, 2013

[...] a green smoothie, a large salad, or some veggies and dip BEFORE you go to that holiday party or dinner.  This way your appetite is satisfied before hand [...]

2. Best Ever Zucchini Hummus Recipe | Linda Wagner - August 15, 2013

[...] wrote a post a while back on why I avoid beans and why you should too. I mean, if you like the “effects” of beans…feel free to eat them to your [...]