Friday, April 22nd, 2011

Best Summer Salads

Friday, April 22nd, 2011

My Favorite Summer Salad Recipe

The weather is getting warmer and the days are getting longer. That can only mean one thing…summer is coming!! I absolutely love summer! To me summer means long bike rides, spending hours and hours outside in the sun, laughing, hanging out with friends, hiking, exploring, swimming, and of course enjoying all of the amazing produce that comes into season!

Along with summer weather inevitably comes swimsuit season. Dun, dun, dun….

For some, this can be a very stressful time and shedding the winter lbs can seem like a very daunting task. One of the first things I tell my clients who are looking to lose weight is to substitute their lunch meal with a GIANT salad.  And I mean GIANT! Forget about portion control, you want to be FULL. That’s the key, otherwise you are headed for disaster. The deprivation mindset only sets you up for a yo-yo cycle that is not only not helpful, it can actually be very harmful both physically and emotionally. So, make yourself a GIANT, heaping, heaving salad and enjoy every delicious bite!

Adding more veggies into the diet is not only beneficial for weight loss but is also a great way to get a big dose of vitamins & minerals.  This is not only good for your health but great for your skin too!  Everyone longs for dewy, soft summer skin and adding more fresh, raw veggies will definitely do the trick!

The good fats from the avocado are so, so, so good for the hair, skin, and nails. Avocado is a true beauty food! Don’t worry about the calories – people get so wrapped up the calorie counting game and I think it’s very sad. As a society we’ve become so removed from what REAL FOOD actually is.  People think that eating a 100 calorie “snack pack” of some kind of excessively processed diet food (like pretzels for instance) is actually going to make them healthier, happier, and skinnier. But the reality is that our body functions just like a car. You wouldn’t put orange juice in your car’s gas tank because you know it’s designed to run on fuel. Well, the same goes for your body. Our bodies are designed to run on fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole, unprocessed foods.  So why on earth would we put chemically laden foods that have gone through 20 rounds of various processing methods into our bodies?!  It’s not designed to run on that! Here’s my advice if it doesn’t exist in nature, don’t eat it. For example, there is no cracker tree, cookie bush, or deli meat tree – stick to REAL FOODS in their natural state and the weight will come off for sure!

You can start your transition to whole foods with one of my favorite summer salads. It is so simple yet really delicious! It’s perfect to enjoy for any occasion – a quick lunch, entertaining guests, or to bring to a picnic or potluck.

For the Salad you’ll need:

• Mixed greens
  • 1 Avocado
  • 1/2 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes
  • 2 cobs of fresh corn

For the Sesame Vinaigrette you’ll need:

• 1/4 cup sesame oil
  • 3Tbs Organic White Wine Vinegar
  • 1 Tbs Organic Tamari
  • Stevia to Taste

Simply cut the avocado, halve the grapes, and cut the corn off the cob.  Then spread evenly over a bed of mixed greens and toss with the Sesame Vinaigrette.

This salad is so easy to make yet the flavors of the creamy avocado, tangy tomatoes, and sweet corn make it full of flavor. Each bite is like a burst of summer in your mouth!

I hope you enjoy this healthy, delicious summer salad as much as I do!

For more fabulously healthy recipes, health info, and daily inspiration please subscribe to this blog, follow me on twitterLOVE me on facebook, or if you’re interested in one-on-one Coaching, shoot me an email!

easy recipes raw food real food recipes salad skin

18 Responses to “Best Summer Salads”

1. Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 23, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

i can not tell you how much i adore corn on my salad in the summer.. its a true addiction :) can’t wait for it ! and i love avocados, i can notice a difference right away in my skin when i start eating it more, love it!
    Felicia (a taste of health with balance) recently posted…you know its Easter in a European household when…My Profile

• Linda April 25, 2011 at 10:33 am #

Felicia darling, you and I are on the same wavelength!! I love, love, love avocados!! The corn and tomato combo just screams summer!
      This salad reminds me of being a kid taking warm bike rides at dusk, crushing on the neighborhood boys, and spending hours upon hours at the pool! Ahhh, to be 13 again! ;)

2. Sandra' Easy Cooking April 25, 2011 at 12:07 am #

This salad looks really good, and refreshing! Love the addition of corn!
    Congrats on top 9!!!
    Sandra’ Easy Cooking recently posted…Homemade Bread LoafMy Profile

• Linda April 25, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Hi Sandra!
      Yes, the fresh sweet corn is what really makes it pop!! Hope you enjoy it!
      xo

3. Katrina April 25, 2011 at 12:25 am #

This salad sounds wonderful! I agree about the gross processed “snacks” dieters ingest. Whole foods are the best!
    Katrina recently posted…Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb CakeMy Profile

• Linda April 25, 2011 at 10:27 am #

Katrina,
      Yay for whole foods!! You can’t mess with the power of Mother Nature! ;)

4. Kate April 25, 2011 at 8:03 am #

This sounds so fresh, light and indicative of the season! What great pictures as well! Congrats on the top 9!
    Kate recently posted…Kates CapreseMy Profile

• Linda April 25, 2011 at 10:26 am #

Thank you Kate!!

5. Kim- Liv Life April 25, 2011 at 8:48 am #

I love everything about this salad!! And yes, I too am beginning to worry just a bit about swim suit season. My family loves sesame, and I’m thinking this one will be a hit.
    I love your thoughts about portion control… when I was working my boss, who was in his 50′s, had a heart attack. He began to substitute salads for his usual meals, however he doused the salads in ranch dressing. He would use 3-4 helpings of the dressing and was probably getting far more calories and fats (not the good kind…) than he was before. But he just kept thinking he was doing OK because it was a salad.
    Thanks for this one, and congrats on Top 9! Well deserved!
    Kim- Liv Life recently posted…Tuscan Lemon Muffins and a poem by Liv!My Profile

• Linda April 25, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Hi Kim,
      Thanks! I’m honored to get into the Top 9!! Yay!! And yes, salads are a great way to get you ready for swimsuit season!! Load up a big salad with TONS of veg and a simple, healthy dressing like this one and you’ll be rockin’ that swimsuit in no time!! :)

6. Junia @ Mis Pensamientos April 25, 2011 at 10:06 am #

i think you and me have the same food philosophy! :) the salad looks delicious!
    Junia @ Mis Pensamientos recently posted…Sunbutter GiveawayMy Profile

• Linda April 25, 2011 at 10:23 am #

Junia, yes! Healthy (& DELICIOUS) eating is my passion!! Nice to “meet” you!
      xo

7. Shut Up & Cook July 8, 2011 at 3:32 pm #

Okay…this looks delicious! Definitely doing on the list. :)

However, to me…nothing says summer more than a Caprese Salad.

Here’s a simple, easy recipe if you like. http://shutupandcook.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/fit-for-a-king-summer-caprese-salad/

Great blog!

• Linda July 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm #

agreed, I looooove caprese salad!! I just posted this version a few weeks ago (http://bit.ly/kLuyY1) it was delish! Thanks for stopping by!

8. Rhonda June 13, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

Any good ideas for substitutions for tomatoes? I am just not a big fan of a lot if tomatoes in a salad. ;(

• Linda June 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Red or orange bell peppers would also be delicious!!

9. Shut Up & Cook June 15, 2012 at 2:16 am #

Roasted beets, particuarly the yellow and gold ones are a good substitute!
    Shut Up & Cook recently posted…Table for One: Pizzeria Locale in Boulder, COMy Profile

1. Healthy Lunch Ideas for Weight Loss | Linda Wagner - February 13, 2013

[...] etc) that’s pretty easy, no one can/should dispute that!  A quick scrambled egg dish, or summer salad takes 15mins tops! Steamed veggies take about 10mins to prepare.  Avocado toast takes less than 5 [...]